Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rhabdomyolysis: How I almost died from being pushed to do too many pull-ups page 5

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There's nothing wrong with jumping up to the bar if there's no bench or you're too short. That's the way I have been doing it. At first, because of the leg swinging, I'd jump up and then brace my legs on whatever I could reach to stop swinging. Then let myself down. I'm better at not swinging so much when I jump up now, maybe because it's really hardly much of a jump anymore.
    It's not advisable. If you couldn't reach the bar for benchpress you would never think it okay for someone to lift it off and drop it into your waiting hands, same for any other exercise. The load on the tendons during such balistic moves is very severe and can easily cause injury.

I use in excess of 100 lbs of added weight for my eccentric pull ups, there is no way I'd risk the stress to my tendons by jumping up into position.

Most gyms have a step, bench or something similar to use in getting to the top position.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    It's not advisable. If you couldn't reach the bar for benchpress you would never think it okay for someone to lift it off and drop it into your waiting hands, same for any other exercise. The load on the tendons during such balistic moves is very severe and can easily cause injury.

I use in excess of 100 lbs of added weight for my eccentric pull ups, there is no way I'd risk the stress to my tendons by jumping up into position.

Most gyms have a step, bench or something similar to use in getting to the top position.
    Maybe you're talking about jumping then grabbing the bar.
    I've done 'jumping pullups' as reaching up, grabbing the bar then pushing off with the legs to assist.
    I see no additional ballistic force in that. Just a head start into the motion that my arms and back have to finish
    My home chin/dip station bar is low enough to reach. I have to bend my legs to do strict full range chins.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Maybe you're talking about jumping then grabbing the bar.
    I've done 'jumping pullups' as reaching up, grabbing the bar then pushing off with the legs to assist.
    I see no additional ballistic force in that. Just a head start into the motion that my arms and back have to finish
    My home chin/dip station bar is low enough to reach. I have to bend my legs to do strict full range chins.
    Ah my bad, I was indeed thiking of jumping, grabbing the bar and using the momentum to help get to the top for each rep. As you say jumping to assist while keeping your hands on the bar all set should be okay for most.

RMF5630 is offline Junior Member
    I am not a fan of the cross fit, personal training culture. I can't belief how they portray that a personal trainer is required to work out or that a 50 year old should be able to do what a 35 year old should. Use common sense, if it looks ridiculous it probably is.

There are a bunch of trainers out there that treat all people like they are professional athletes. The majority of us have jobs and training us like professional athletes is irresponsible. I actually had a personal trainer tell me that he wouldn't work with my wife if he couldn't control all workouts and her diet. Because once he took her on that it was his reputation on the line.

Not a fan of the Personal Training profession, seen too many people being told to do ridiculous things to stupid levels.

sra1984 is offline Member
    That is super scary! Glad you shared- I am just starting to learn how to do the whole pull-up thing (no trainer, just myself) but it is good to know that these things are possible. Thanks so much for posting! Nice to see things didn't go the worse for you. Out of curiosity, were there any lasting impacts?
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1984 View Post
    That is super scary! Glad you shared- I am just starting to learn how to do the whole pull-up thing (no trainer, just myself) but it is good to know that these things are possible. Thanks so much for posting! Nice to see things didn't go the worse for you. Out of curiosity, were there any lasting impacts?
    You're not going to get rhabdo doing any kind of reasonable protocol to increase your pull-ups. It really really requires pushing through your limits. I'm sorry about what happened to the O.P., but this is not a real source of major concern outside of crossfit and overzealous/under-intelligent trainers pushing you to do more than your body knows it can handle.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chellegood View Post
    Folks, this is no joke. I'm a 37 year old mother of 5 who was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after my trainer had me do a ridiculous amount of reps of a ridiculous exercise. If you are unfamiliar with this illness or work with a trainer, please take a moment to read my story and share it with your friends and family.

The Real Housewife of Bluemont: Mom of 5 Almost Dies From Pull-ups ~ My Story on Trainers, Rhabdomyolysis and Following Your Instincts
    I am so sorry you experienced this and thank goodness you are ok!!! That is quite a story. Thank you for posting. Hope you can back in the game without any lasting effects. Do you think you'll go for the marathon next year?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And the trainer failed. I'm sorry for that. A true strength training protocol may have its risks, but rhabdo really isn't one of them.
    Uuuuhhh... Strength training... Risks? Care to elaborate?

Maybe I'm all freaked out after reading this post. Ive decided that I'm going to get on a serious strength training program after my November race but I need to know my risks before I dive full-on into this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Uuuuhhh... Strength training... Risks? Care to elaborate?

Maybe I'm all freaked out after reading this post. Ive decided that I'm going to get on a serious strength training program after my November race but I need to know my risks before I dive full-on into this. Thanks!
    It can make you all firm and sexy if you aren't careful !

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    It can make you all firm and sexy if you aren't careful !
    Aww... too late! This blonde bombshell is already suffering the sexy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345