Thread: Comparing Ghee products page

Percyfaith is offline Junior Member

Question Comparing Ghee products

Primal Fuel
    Right now, I am preparing for a strict Candida protocol, but ongoing for the future I wonder if Ghee is 'better than butter'.

Can anyone tell me more about the differences of these Pure Indian Foods brands of Ghee products:

PRIMALFAT Coconut Ghee 14.2 oz Virgin & Certified Organic
    and

Grassfed Organic Cultured Ghee 14 Oz

and

Grassfed Organic Ghee 7.8 Oz

I wish all of these came in the 7.8 oz size.

Is it really better to make my own? I don't have a lot of time to prepare and am also concerned about how the expense of homemade vs these or other brands compare?

Any thoughts or help appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Percyfaith View Post
    Right now, I am preparing for a strict Candida protocol, but ongoing for the future I wonder if Ghee is 'better than butter'.

Can anyone tell me more about the differences of these Pure Indian Foods brands of Ghee products:

PRIMALFAT Coconut Ghee 14.2 oz Virgin & Certified Organic
    and

Grassfed Organic Cultured Ghee 14 Oz

and

Grassfed Organic Ghee 7.8 Oz

I wish all of these came in the 7.8 oz size.

Is it really better to make my own? I don't have a lot of time to prepare and am also concerned about how the expense of homemade vs these or other brands compare?

Any thoughts or help appreciated...
    The price of store bought ghee has always scared me away. I can make just under 16 oz of ghee for $6. For the price of some of those products you listed (at least their Amazon price, maybe you can find cheaper locally) I could make 48 oz of ghee. They all seem like quality products, but it is rally easy and drastically cheaper to make it yourself. Plus you know for sure what butter was used to make it.

There was a post on making ghee not too long ago (recipe is for coconut oil ghee but regular ghee is same process without mixing in oil at the end):

Coconut Oil and Ghee: Together At Last | Mark's Daily Apple
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Can't remember the brand, but I have only bought store bought ghee once, it was awful. I have been using organic butter and doing it myself ever since.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Store bought really doesn't taste that good. Making it seems bad at first, but it's easy and you can make a LOT at a time. I do 5-6 sticks of Kerrygold butter at a time. Melt it down, simmer on low until the milk solids turn a nice golden brown, carefully strain through paper towel or coffee filter or cheesecloth and then chill. Tastes great and much cheaper.

However, if I had to pick one that you suggested it would be the grass fed ghee. CUltured will probably be a bit too sour, and I would rather my ghee NOT be mixed with coconut oil. I can add coconut oil if I decide I want it
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Percyfaith is offline Junior Member

Thank you all!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
    The price of store bought ghee has always scared me away. I can make just under 16 oz of ghee for $6. For the price of some of those products you listed (at least their Amazon price, maybe you can find cheaper locally) I could make 48 oz of ghee. They all seem like quality products, but it is rally easy and drastically cheaper to make it yourself. Plus you know for sure what butter was used to make it.

There was a post on making ghee not too long ago (recipe is for coconut oil ghee but regular ghee is same process without mixing in oil at the end):

Coconut Oil and Ghee: Together At Last | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thank you for your response and the link I appreciate all the feedback. This store bought is expensive and not that great taste wise so I will look forward to homemade next time!
    Thank you.