Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevia - What's the word? page 2

Giblets is offline Member
    I've been using the liquid stevia for 7 or 8 years -- a few drops in my morning coffee. Whenever I run across an article on stevia, I read it. The nutrition gurus are divided about 50/50 saying either "sure, best alternative to sugar" or "use cautiously." Personally I think it's great stuff.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

My diet? Very low carb to initially lose weight, then moderate carbs (the past 12 years) for effortless weight maintenance. For me, the "carb curve" works like a charm. Once a week or so, I eat only one meal during the day (at late evening), as sort of a mini-fast.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I like stevia and have been using it for years. It's really best with smoothies rather than a sweetener for coffee or tea. Usually I try to have my smoothies all natural, but sometimes I crave some extra sweetness, and stevia works perfectly for that.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I used it for a while to help me back away from sugar but never really liked it. It was too concentrated of a sugar taste and the intensity was difficult to control. Now I don't worry about sugar so much since I ditched coffee for a morning mug of bone broth. Turns out I liked the warmth of coffee more than the actual coffee. I mostly eat fruit but will just use honey if I need to sweeten something.

abraka8 is offline Member
    I grew a bunch a few years back, then dried it and powdered it in the blender. I use it pretty exclusively in tea, but I love it and have had no ill effects from it. Sometimes when I want something sweet, tea with stevia kills the craving without any additional carbs or calories.

abraka8 is offline Member
    Btw, dried and powdered, I literally use a pinch in a pot of tea. It goes a long way.

waterjen is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by abraka8 View Post
    I grew a bunch a few years back, then dried it and powdered it in the blender. I use it pretty exclusively in tea, but I love it and have had no ill effects from it. Sometimes when I want something sweet, tea with stevia kills the craving without any additional carbs or calories.
    I like and use both stevia the herb and the liquid form for smoothies or primal-ish sweets. I have never tried drying and powdering the plant I grow, but will try that in the future. Thanks for the idea!

I have long avoided the powdered stevia commercially available in the supermarkets because ... it's white. The herb is green. What kind of processing are they doing to it to make it white?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12