Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring model in need of serious nutritional advice... page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

Aspiring model in need of serious nutritional advice...

Shop Now
    So I've recently gotten into the world of modeling, building a porfolio and looking at agencies only to discover all of these fashion models are my height: 5'9" or taller and weighing around 115lbs or so. I'm 5'9" at 128lbs! I am a very healthy person eating extremely cleanly and have recently gone primal. It is essential that I get my weight down to 120lbs to progress in this career. I lift weights, do cardio 3-4 times a week and to avoid further weight gain, have been keeping my calories at about 1250-1300 daily. I load up on veggies and meat so i'm not starving but the slight layer of remaining fat I do have on my body will not budge. i'm considering incorporating intermittent fasting maybe once a week or so.I know many of you will say my calorie intake is too low but i don't know what else to do. At this rate I should be losing at least a 1lb a week. I have read about the anorexia and drugs in the modeling world and do not want to ever fall into a disorder of any kind because I believe I am prone. And now I'm becoming desperate to lose this weight and get my measurements down. ANY advice is welcome...

I also drink a few cups of coffee in the morning with splenda...could the artificial sweetener cause me to release insulin and store this stubborn fat? My waist mearsurement is the only one that needs to shrink about two inches btw.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I don't see how you could get down to that weight while still preserving healthy lean tissue (muscle). But maybe you don't have to. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so when you're really lean you might easily fit into all the clothes just like the models that weigh less (but have more fat). The question is: Can you explain that to the agencies?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nutritional keys to losing weight and having a great figure:

-Eat enough food so the body becomes efficient at using energy sources. That means eating enough food to be compatible with life. 2000 calories minimum.
    -Make sure you're getting enough of all essential nutrients. This ties into the first point because without enough food you're not going to get enough nutrients and your metabolism will be like a poorly oiled machine.
    -Good macronutrient ratio. High in saturated and monounsaturated fats while limiting polyunsaturates except for omega 3 fatty acids at the beginning. Moderate protein, carbs to preference (usually not too high). This is going to mean eating fatty cuts of beef, fish, fresh pork and purposely adding fats like coconut, beef tallow, lard, and olive oil and avocado to a lesser extent.
    -Avoid poisons. Anything artifical, any of the nasty antinutrients and toxins from grains, legumes, some nuts and seeds, and eliminating anything that causes auto-inflammation. The approach of meat, good fats, vegetables, and possibly some supplements avoids this quite nicely.
    -Various anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and supplements like are found in tea, cocoa, berries, spices like turmeric and ginger. These are helpful in the beginning while you're still bringing your body back into homeostasis and become less useful the healthier you become, but they'll always have some merit in my opinion.

This is designed to get the body running properly, resolve insulin/leptin resistance, and become healthier as a whole. Strive for optimal health and a great figure will be the positive consequence.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    5'9'' and 120 lbs means very low muscle mass. I dont think you can get "model" skinny be being primal as models have no muscles, especially in their legs and arms. having less than ideal muscle mass is detrimental to your health. primal=healthy. healthy often does not equal model stats.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would advice going really really low carb, and Ifing if you're able to do it and to sprint and rather than doing cardio. As for the IFing part, I'd say rather than doing it once a week and going for a long period, do it every day but for shorter periods. Give yourself say an eight to ten hour window to give your body the nutrition that it needs and don't eat for the other fourteen to sixteen hours. Basically throw one meal (usually breakfast out) and don't snack.
    Oh and lose the splenda too if you can.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    5'9'' and 120 lbs means very low muscle mass. I dont think you can get "model" skinny be being primal as models have no muscles, especially in their legs and arms. having less than ideal muscle mass is detrimental to your health. primal=healthy. healthy often does not equal model stats.
    Yes, this lifestyle will not help you reach your goal, and I am sure you already know it's unhealthy..
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

ChrisJ is offline Member
    My recommendation would be
    Exercise: to trade in that Cardio for 1 - 2 sprint sessions a week, and to do moderate weight training / bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, squats) 3 times a week.
    This will promote strong healthy muscles without generating "bulk". Cardio especially is not doing you any favours, cutting that out for sprints will make you leaner and healthier.

Diet: Cut ALL alcohol / sweetened drinks. Drink nothing but water. Green tea or similar if you have to have something hot / flavoured.
    Cut all grains and sugar entirely: Eat fatty meats and vegetables only, and you will be in good shape.
    Eat enough to be satisfied - your body will tell you how much you need. You'll probably increase your calorie intake, but you damn well need to - eating as little as you are is killing you slowly, and is not sustainable long term.

If you were to do this you'll be able to get your BF% lower if you want to. You will have a little bit more muscle than the unhealthiest of models, but you will be very lean.

All this said, I cannot condone the intentional reduction of body fat to a level that makes you unwell. If you find you cannot obtain the body they want you to have without your health suffering, question whether your chosen career is worth suffering for. (Hint: It's not.) I have tried to provide a guideline by which you should be able to keep your body fat as low as possible without sacrificing health. You yourself will know if you are cutting your weight to below what your body can sustain.

Only you can decide what you want to do, but I highly recommend you consider modelling sportswear etc. rather than designer fasion, as these industries promote a healthier body image generally.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Check out Valerie Walters?? Red Carpet Ready - http://www.redcarpetready.com/

Her workouts will get your muscles looking how they need to look for magazine consumption. She has a meal plan but I have no idea what it is. Definitely make sure your vitamin D is topped off.

It sucks having to fit into those little boy designer sizes.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Here are my steps to getting down to 115 on a 5'9 frame:

1. Jam finger down throat.

2.???

3.Profit!

I'm going to be honest, I don't really think that being a model is worth being an unhealthy bag of skin and bones with no muscle mass. I'm sorry, but primal advocates being lean and strong, not being scrawny enough to escape between two jail bars.

If you want to get down that much, I don't think primal is going to be very helpful. The only way I could imagine getting down that low is by starving yourself, which I am sure you do not wish to do.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Ick. I just calculated a BMI for 120 at 5'9 - 17.7. Your current BMI is 18.9 (same as the Kitava women - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10535381)

17.7 - yikes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast