Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whey protein and hot liquids page

whey protein and hot liquids

just wanted to double check that having whey protein with a hot drink doesn't effect it's chemical composure in any way. the package tells you to use cold liquid, but I really don't see how having my whey with my coffee could hurt it

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I doubt there's a difference, but coffee and whey? Sorry but that sounds nasty.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

cancerguy99 is offline Member
    I tried a chocolate whey protien from Hammer Nutrution in coffee and it was NASTY!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Heating milk works well ... I don't see why you shouldn't have a hot chocolate flavored protein drink instead of a hot chocolate.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I got this from another forum a loooong time ago, I do not know who to give original credit too.

Edit: nvm, found it: http://caloriecount.about.com/adding...-ft118609-1#29

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My question to EAS:

I currently use your chocolate 100% whey protein powder. I mix it in my coffee every morning and it's great. Recently, on discussion boards, the topic has been brought up that heat will "destroy" the protein, rendering it less effective. I'm wondering if you can comment on this. I've seen recipes for protein bars using whey powder and they bake the bars at temperatures higher than fresh coffee. Also, we cook meats and eggs yet we're still able to utilize the protein from them. Is Whey different somehow? What temperature should you not exceed its exposure to?

--------------------------------------------- -

Their Response:

Thank you for contacting Abbott Nutrition. Yes, the 100% Whey Protein powder can be reconstituted and heated without destroying the nutrients. Whey protein is a soluble protein source that can more easily withstand the heating process with less coagulation compared to many other proteins. Heating of the reconstituted whey protein under typical home-heating methods will not reduce the protein quality. Whey protein can be mixed into several recipes to help increase the protein content of the food (see the Eating-for-LIFE book and the Body-for-LIFE website for recipes). Under standard home-heating or cooking temperatures, the nutrients, primarily protein, are not destroyed and still provide a readily digestible, high quality protein. The other nutrients, such as calcium, potassium and sodium are quite stable in heat and will not be destroyed. However, we do not recommend reconstitution of the EAS 100% Whey protein and then boiling the solution because the organoleptic qualities will be affected. (e.g. flavor and odor can be compromised)

Side Note: Coagulation is involved with the denaturation of proteins under certain stressors, such as heat. An example of protein coagulation is when we cook eggs and the egg whites turn from a clear liquid to a white solid. This is a heat-induced physical change to the protein but this does not reduce the protein quality.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Sean

EAS Fitness Advisor

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Funny as I was wondering that same exact question today. We have just gone into winter here so bloody cold in the mornings and the last thing I want is a 'cold' drink. (I eat breakfast later on) This morning I had hot raw milk/cream with cocoa but wasn't sure whether to put in a spoonful of my whey powder. Cheers.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I love milk with chocolate flavored whey powder ... tastes great hot or cold. :-)

it actually tasted great with my coffee this morning haha. thanks for the responses everyone

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

markalen001 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    I love milk with chocolate flavored whey powder ... tastes great hot or cold. :-)
    Yes, This always tastes good. Whey powder is always useful for good health.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use two scoops of NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate (only whey, no flavor etc) in my coffee each morning with a tablespoon of heavy cream and one of coconut milk: it's a most luxurious beverage (though, I've discovered the coffee must not be overly hot: the whey turns into tiny clumps).
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast