Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Push-up endurance not keeping pace with other exercises? page 2

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    @OldSchool: I can certainly try switching over to incline push-ups. I'm able to complete the sets doing regular push-ups, though, just with difficulty, so I'm not sure swapping them out for an easier exercise is going to really further my training. Were you suggesting adding an extra set of incline push-ups after the regular ones?

@walker.alles: The planks have been progressing well, like all of the other exercises (except the push-ups). Maybe I'm doing them wrong, though! I'll try to figure out how to aim a camera at myself next time so I can check my form against online videos.
    I was thinking that you could perform the incline version to prolong your sets or to help perform more sets if that was your goal.

As it is most likely your triceps giving out you could also try doing some with a very close grip to emphasize your triceps to build them up.

Most people think of push ups as a chest exercise but as people suggest making them harder by raising their feet it becomes more focused on the triceps, taken to an extreme it becomes a handstand push up which is all triceps and shoulders.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I found that I was similarly "stuck" on push-ups, and then a coach made me improve my form, and they got harder for a little while but then my volume started increasing much faster. I had been doing them with elbows straight out to the sides, like forming a T with my upper body; I switched to doing them with the elbows back about 45 degrees, as though pushing them to the back corners of the room (but not elbows stuck to sides, that's a military press). This allows me to keep my shoulderblades down and my lats get a ton more activation. Now my push-ups are progressing as they should.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Can I just add that I rarely if ever do push ups any more, however, this week I attempted as many as I could in 2 minutes as it was a challenge on another forum. I completed 73 which goes to show that your push ups can improve just through a basic strength routine.
    You comin' over to the dark side, OldSchhool? This sounds eerily like something NOTR, Mr. Anthony, quikky, or I would say...

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I basically never do pushups any more. Like, months at a time without them. Just heavy weights.

I've been traveling a lot the last couple weeks, and lifting has been spotty. Probably good, since I was due for a deload period anyway. One morning I was making breakfast in a rented condo and didn't have time to get to the fitness room or anything, so I smashed some pushups, air squats, etc. Even with not doing pushups ever, 6 sets of 20 knuckle pushups was easy, to the point of basically not even feeling like a workout.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You comin' over to the dark side, OldSchhool? This sounds eerily like something NOTR, Mr. Anthony, quikky, or I would say...

Yeah, never say never !

Peanut is offline Member
    Thanks, all! I tried adding 5 knee pushups to each set in my workout today, and my arms definitely felt a lot more tired than usual. I'll let you know if this results in better endurance on future workouts

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Can I just add that I rarely if ever do push ups any more, however, this week I attempted as many as I could in 2 minutes as it was a challenge on another forum. I completed 73 which goes to show that your push ups can improve just through a basic strength routine.
    To a point, yes, but in ranges beyond 50 or so, they definitely become an endurance exercise that are really effectively trained like Knifegill does- lots of sets of low reps, never to failure. The Army Physical Fitness Test allows two minutes for as many pushups as possible, and most people are pretty spent after about 45-60 seconds. The guys who do well are still strong until about 90 seconds in. It's really rare for someone to push for two minutes straight without pause.

The situp test is similar, but not quite that bad. The Army really does a disservice to itself by emphasizing endurance over strength in pretty much everything. They could greatly improve their results with a strength-training program for a base, then some endurance work for the test. The other major deficiency is a lack of pulling exercises and back strength work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12