Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cast iron pan. Need help cooking steak tips. page

kyle2006 is offline Member

New cast iron pan. Need help cooking steak tips.

Primal Fuel
    We just got a lodge cast iron skillet and we're going to attempt to make some steak tips tonight. All of the recipes I've seen suggest brushing the steak with olive oil, but I know olive oil has a relatively low smoke point. Also, most cast iron users recommend getting a good sear and then throwing the pan in the oven for a few minutes. Because of this, what do you guys recommend using instead of olive oil? Would butter or ghee be a good, safer altervative? Thanks for the help!

weaverchick is offline Member
    I just usually put a bit of butter or ghee and a smidge of oil in the pan, sear the steak, and pop it in a 400 degree oven until desired doneness. Since cast iron attains and hold heat well I usually only turn the burner on medium so it doesn't start smoking.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    I use butter usually. Let your pan heat sear a bit and toss in the oven. I like my steak on the rare side so ill just cook for a few minutes per side on a med/high heat.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Was it a pre seasoned lodge? You definitely want to season it properly even if they say it was pre seasoned. I use beef tallow on mine until it's well seasoned. Google is your friend as far as finding ways to do that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    There are some YouTube videos that are good for learning to season.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

kyle2006 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. We ended up using some ghee, searing it on both sides, and putting it in the oven for a few minutes. It turned out great.

As far as seasoning, it came preseasoned. I've read online that the best oil to use to season cast iron is flaxseed oil, so I might strip it and reseason using flaxseed.

Cavemanclan is offline Junior Member
    I am a cast iron collector and have many pieces that are over 100 years old - I use them all, too! My best advise is to use beef tallow, homemade lard or bacon grease to season your skillet. Anything else is substandard and you will not get the same long lasting seasoning. Also, don't use plastic ( no matter what anyone tells you!) use sharp edged metal (not easy to find in these days of plastic!) spatulas or or wooden spoons for stirring. There is a reasoning behind this, but if no other reason suits, remember that 100 years ago, no one used plastic crap and their skillets lasted this long! I have some of the loveliest and useable cast iron ever and don't cook with anything else besides stainless steel...hope you enjoy yours!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Just gone cast iron and loving it. Don't know why I got lured back in by non-stick a few years ago. Only had mine a week but I gave it a good long heating with enough beef fat to cover the bottom and it's already better than my old non-stick. I know that the research suggests that Teflon is safe but it was probably funded by Dupont so forgive me for not taking chances.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    I too use cast iron but as Le Creuset is enamel coated it doesn't need seasoning. ( at least i assume that's the case)

I do have a couple of tefal non stick pans which i love. If (when?) the non-stick fails i may get a proper cast iron frying pan (le creuset frying pans have a sub-standard non-stick surface unfortunately)

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I nearly always use butter, coconut oil or as a last resort peanut oil !

Never clean them off with soap, just run them under very hot water straight away and use a stiff scrubber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast