Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have no patience with conspiracy theories, but really... page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lewis, may I ask your opinion on the selfish issue? If I do something for someone else and it makes me feel like a better person, is that an unselfish act or a selfish one?

I've always had issues with altruism because even when my primary motivation isn't to make me feel good and is to help, I always do feel good afterward, so I wonder if I'm helping to help or because I know it's going to feel good for me.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I agree with JoanieL, I have my doubts about genuine altruism. I don't think there's an easy answer.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    We feel better when we help other people. That's how we're wired. Get a group of people together who are free to help and be helped, and everyone will be made happier, without fail. What to do about it? Struggle to find a way to help that doesn't make us happier, so we can feel securely virtuous? Or just resign ourselves to being human?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Hi Hillary. That wasn't really my issue - I'm certainly not going to stop helping people because it makes me feel good. If my personal definition of selfish means only doing things that make me happy without hurting others, I don't necessarily think selfishness is non-virtuous. (Greed on the other hand is taking from those less fortunate when we already have enough.)

I'm just not sure I believe in the concept of altruism, or if I do, I'm not sure it's healthy. I was just wondering what Lewis' take on that was because of his post.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Hi Hillary. That wasn't really my issue - I'm certainly not going to stop helping people because it makes me feel good. ...
    No, I didn't suppose you were . I was just being, you know, positive and stuff... makes a nice change from how I started the thread, doesn't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12