Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Snow page

Benpercent is offline Junior Member

Question Visual Snow

What do you guys think about the phenomenon of Visual Snow, where a light- and multi-colored haze fills up one's field of vision? Do you think there could be some primal nutrition treatments?

I've had to live with it all my life, and the one time I mentioned it to an eye doctor he wasn't able to detect anything. Otherwise, my last measurements were 20/20.

It doesn't interfere with my life greatly, though at times it can fluctuate, and I wonder if it's nutrition related. For instance, when I was a child I was on the poorest version of the SAD, and once while building snowmen I came inside, after being exposed to the light-reflecting snow, to find myself practically blind. My mother asked me to fetch a particular color bow, and I was totally color-blind, them looking all black to me.

On the other hand, since going Paleo I've been able to pull feats off such as never needing sunglasses on the brightest sunny days and having the snow only sting my eyes a little bit, without any lasting maladies, which suggest it might be health-related.

What think you?

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Could what you have be like a visual migraine? Like, a rainbow aura that covers your entire field of vision, but with no headache or pain?

Visual Migraine Animation - YouTube

I get them occasionally. Mine have always been related to being exposed to quickly flashing lights, like driving past a large row of trees, where the sunlight is dappled through the leaves, and you're quickly driving past shade sun shade sun shade sun. Like that.

One data point you might find interesting: I get the visual migraines only when I'm in ketosis. I have never had one at any other time. If I increase carbs, no auras.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Is it just like an alternating, wavy green and red/pink wash of your vision? Just barely noticeable, more so on brighter/light backgrounds?

Benpercent is offline Junior Member
    Little Vase: Your video doesn't seem to cover what it is that I experience, no.

Kegas: If I close my eyes it does look red and green, but it's too mild to decipher that when my eyes are open, so I can't tell then.

What I experience is just a wee bit milder and irregular than what is portrayed in the animated gif shown on this page, which I view as the most accurate portrayal: Visual Snow

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Most of the time visual snow is caused by either migraines, adrenal fatigue, or poor blood flow to the eyes over a period of time. I would try a supplement like this, Super Zeaxanthin with Lutein, Meso-Zeaxanthin Plus Astaxanthin and C3G, 60 softgels, combined with this Eye Pressure Support with Mirtogenol, 30 vegetarian capsules. If those don't help I don't know what will.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    This is almost universal among autism spectrum people. I have it. If I stare at a white wall I see radiating blue and yellow or red blobs dancing, growing, shrinking, etc. My night vision is terrible.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I have had this. It washed over my eyesight. Weird. It hasn't happened in years.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This is almost universal among autism spectrum people. I have it. If I stare at a white wall I see radiating blue and yellow or red blobs dancing, growing, shrinking, etc. My night vision is terrible.
    You are amazing pal.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Interesting... Now I'm going to have to ask my son and see if he experiences the same thing.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am an ophthalmologist, so I guess it is kind of my job to try to answer this one

First on the defensive side, I presume you see a PCP occasionally, and aren't experiencing any other systemic symptoms. What you are referring to medically called "entopic phenomenon", with some of the big hitters as possible causes....with this said, the fact that you report it all your life makes a difference. Things like MS, cranial compression, or other very serious things are found with this symptom, so it's good to know what it's NOT to start with.

More realistically, it is likely a neurological synapsal issue that is more physiological that pathological. In many cases of Asperger's, Raynaud's, and some of the X-linked genetic diseases, it is thought that there is insufficient axonal tone in the areas of the visual cortex that work to filter out the "white noise" of your vision.....in other words, the "push back" of some of the visual processing can be interfered with, especially under certain conditions.

It is benign, and somewhat common, under these circumstances.

Some red-flags:
    -- Does your vision have a noticeable pattern where this occurs, and does your vision ever worsen....I don't mean the snowy vision, I mean reduced acuity, blur, under certain conditions....I would especially pay attention to when you exercise, so-called "Ulthoff's Phenomenon" that is pathoneumonic for MS.
    -- Is it in both eyes or just one?
    -- Have you had an electrodiagnostics done, such as a VEP, visual gradient, or otherwise? This would be the only true method of determining if there is neurological pathology.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast