Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How much carbs cause insulin spike page 8

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    The person I was replying to intimated that constant carb feeding would reduce insulin sensitivity, which seems counterproductive. And I've also not seen any evidence that it's true. Nor have I seen any evidence that carbohydrates cause leptin dysfunction, as you said. Proof?
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    The only problem with constant carbohydrate feeding would be if it consistently pushes you into a caloric surplus. Otherwise, assuming adequate intake of other macronutrients, why would it be an issue, Omni?
    If you need proof go out and look for it, if you don't then don't, opinions seem to be the flavour of the day here.

My take on it is that we need to cycle our fat stores and exercise all aspects of our metabolism, constant feeding counters this process. High GI carbohydrate foods were not available to us 24/7 historically, they were intermittant and seasonal and our body evolved to take advantage of these times, so I believe they are more binge foods and our bodies are well adapted to consuming large quantities of them, but I do not believe we are as well adapted to having a constant supply. I think this applies to food in general prior to the neolithic period feeding was nearly always preceded by physical exertion, for this we needed to mobilize energy reserves, so our energy stores were always in a state of flux volume wise, not equilibrium.

If your fridge is stocked normally, but you never use anything from it and instead live off take away food, the volume does not change but eventually all the food in the fridge goes off and you end up with a stinking mess, in a very general way I think that's the state of may peoples adipose tissue.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Well what's you're story?
    I don't have a story. I was just wondering what evidence you have that eating regulary or in Zachs case drinking orange juice regularly is bad providing you're within calorie balance?
    And "What I think Grok might have done" isn't a good reply.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 10-14-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    I'm not arguing about meal frequency, Omni. I pointed out there's no support for the claim that eating several small meals of carbohydrates per day actually induces insulin resistance.

I think fasting and eating one or two meals a day is super, but that wasn't what I was arguing against.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I don't have a story. I was just wondering what evidence you have that eating regulary or in Zachs case drinking orange juice regularly is bad providing you're within calorie balance?
    And "What I think Grok might have or have not have done" isn't a good reply.
    It's as good as any of the replies I've seen.
    We have a vast number of unsubstantiated claims being countered with more unsubstantiated claims, it's all opinion.

You want proof, go find it, if you don't then don't.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

You want us to provide proof of opposing claims so we prove can ourselves wrong?

I'm not arguing about meal frequency, Omni. I pointed out there's no support for the claim that eating several small meals of carbohydrates per day actually induces insulin resistance.

I think fasting and eating one or two meals a day is super, but that wasn't what I was arguing against.
    As far as I'm aware there is no conclusive evidence either way, so all you have to go on is what you current level of understanding is, mine is that I think constant dripfeeding, particularly of easily metabolised carbs may not be such a good idea and as we are having an opposing discussion then I can only assume you think it is a good idea.

You want us to provide proof of opposing claims so we prove can ourselves wrong?
    You could find proof in the positive as well, that OJ drip 24/7 for 5 years causes no ill effects.

No such proof exists. If your theoretical carbohydrate grazing scenerio does induce insulin resistance (you seem to think it does), what's the mechanism? That's the most important question. If carbohydrates or insulin had the magical ability to induce disease, surely scientists would have elucidated the mechanism a few decades ago, don't you think?

As an aside, I'm really happy to be debating about carbohydrates again instead of Ray Peat!

and as we are having an opposing discussion then I can only assume you think it is a good idea.
    I don't think it's a good idea, but I don't think it would cause diabetes, either.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 10-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    What is the mechanism for insulin resistance? It isn't found in people who don't overindulge in carbohydrate so it's fair to say that there is probably a link. Why has insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes gone through the roof? What has changed in the human diet in the last 30 years? Correlation is not causation but a smoking gun will be found soon and it's going to have sugar's fingerprints all over it.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    It's as good as any of the replies I've seen.
    We have a vast number of unsubstantiated claims being countered with more unsubstantiated claims, it's all opinion.

You want proof, go find it, if you don't then don't.
    You're the one that's saying that drinking a bottle of juice over the course of a day is going to give you diabetes. It sounds like the unsabsiated low carb claim that the pancrease just gets "worn out" from carbs and then you have diabetes.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast