Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough carbs? page

Joanneh is offline Junior Member

Not enough carbs?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there
    I have just started eating PB, and woke up during the night quite a few times and this morning feeling extremely hungry. Was hoping I could get some advice. I'm just not sure where to get carbs from - I only managed to eat 38g yesterday which I figure is the reason for the hunger.
    I had some tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers with my morning eggs, and then some broccoli, kale and parsnip for dinner with meat. I had plenty of fat, via nuts and a boiled egg as snacks.
    Any ideas? Should I throw in some potato or other root veg?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Joanneh and welcome. You seem to have made a good start with primal principles but I wonder if your extreme hunger may be related as much to lack of food in general (ie very low calories) as to low carbs. In my experience carbs tend to stimulate hunger while protein satisifies it.

However, there are still lots of primal carbs you can choose. Yes, these include starchy veges such as pumpkin, kumara, carrots, onions, potatoes.

Also fruit of all sorts, bananas, apples, pears, grapes. Even dried fruit but they are very very sweet and tend to create cravings for me.

There are even some carbs in dairy and in nuts.

Good luck as you keep on keeping on with finding out what works for you

peril is offline Senior Member
    How much are you eating? Hunger on starting primal can have a number of causes:

* initial carb flu - you need to take time to adjust, basically just pushing through the hunger
    * eating too little - you need to increase protein and fat to counter the drop in carbs
    * eating too little protein - you need 0.7 to 1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass
    * missing micronutrients - usually solved by eating a wide variety of nutrient dense foods, rather than having fat bombs (doesn't seem to be your problem

My standard approach for newbies is to eat three meals a day, of a mixed variety of whole foods, making sure you get enough protein. No snacking. No nuts until you are adjusted to this WOE. Use tubers and white rice and some fruit if you're struggling with very low carb, which isn't necessary
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thrakk is offline Junior Member
    When it comes to biology, there are literally billions of things that could be happening to you. Just keep that in mind as people give you advice, mmk? It could be any number of things.

When I adapted to PB, it really took a toll on my body. I'd go so far as to say I had depression for 4 or 5 days. I don't know what your case is, but it wouldn't surprise me if a sudden change in food habits is going to mess with your metabolism. If you've been high carb for a long time and then drop down to 38g in a day, your body will be screaming for a sugar hit.

Hi guys

I really appreciate the replies. I think it is probably a mix of all the suggestions above. I only had two meals yesterday, should have had three, and possibly some more starchy carb with my dinner. I'll play around with amounts over the next few days and see how it goes.

This morning I've had eggs and bacon and tomato and was really hungry again a short time later so I had a banana....feeling hungry again now an hour and a half later! Probably still need to replace for yesterdays shortage. Lunch will be something filling.
    I'd normally be used of granola or toast for breakfast, a salad with wholegrain carbs for lunch and dinner with a small amount of carbs....so its an adjustment my body is probably a little shocked with.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello,
    Increase the amount of meat (from ruminants, fatty cuts) and eggs, add calf liver, and say raw sheep milk cheese (like queso manchego) instead of too much nuts. If you like them, add oven baked potatoes. These foods will satiate you much more.

Thanks for the suggestion - just made some egg muffin things with feta cheese and they were totally delicious and I feel quite satisfied after it.

One thing though - are potatoes not considered 'bad' carbs in the PB approach?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Joanneh, I am not sure what bad carbs are but potatoes are definitely good foods
    If you think about refined sugar, sweeteners, additives, etc, then I would say it is the whole industrially processed / packaged foods that you should minimize, and cook from scratch with raw and real ingredients as much as you can. Potatoes do belong to a decent kitchen in my opinion (see my forum name as I said a while back, I don't do deep-fried stuff, I don't believe in that sort of cooking, but oven-baked french fries ... mmmm).

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Everything Frenchfry said above is true. Plus...he can hook you up with some amazing potato recipes.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast