Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 100g-a-day habit... page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

My 100g-a-day habit...

Shop Now
    ...that's 100g of 100% dark chocolate.

I've casually mentioned this on the boards before, but would like some opinions on my recent habit of eating 100g of 100% cacao in place of a morning meal. Essentially it's pure fat -- no appreciable carbs or protein to speak of -- and if I eat it around noon as my first meal of the day, I find I'm not hungry again until dinner (which, from a body composition perspective, seems optimal, no?) Essentially my day looks like this:

- noon: 100g 100% chocolate (no sugar or anything)
    - 6pm: usually salmon or beef with eggs and piles of veggies

Am I missing anything? My dinner is usually packed with quality nutrition, so vitamins/minerals aren't a concern. Am I going to gain forty-thousand pounds doing this?

Background: My exercise is dancing/walking/ab work... my calories hover around 1200-1500 daily. I'm not trying to lose weight at all, I just don't want to unexpectedly gain.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    One of the most together women I've ever known started her day with coffee and a Godiva chocolate, then didn't eat again until supper/dinner. Waaayyy back in the 80s before IF was a thing.

I think how you eat sounds just fine. However there may be people who will encourage you to scarf calories like a six foot body builder. If you're happy, I'm happy. All I would check would be magnesium because it's a bit tough to get enough from food unless you eat a lot of seeds.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Where do you find 100% chocolate??? I can only find 86% and I can't even imagine eating that in the morning.
    Though, any woman allowing herself to eat chocolate like that is a good woman in my book...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I do that sometimes.

Chocolate bar a day all day erry day.
    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

tarek is offline Senior Member
    How's your sleep/mood/energy?

A few years ago, I would eat 50g - 100g every day, and I felt like a moody, lethargic sack of shit. There were several times where that amount of cacao prevented me from sleeping at night. Now, I'll have around 10g - 20g a few times a week and that's about as much as I tolerate.

Not trying to scare you or anything; cacao is a stimulant, but it doesn't elicit the same effects for everyone. So long as you feel fine and don't have any energy or skin problems, have at it. Take some magnesium, too.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Dark chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium...100g unsweetened baking chocolate has >300mg. I don't think supplementation is a big issue unless OP is showing symptoms of not having enough in her diet.

PS, if you haven't noticed a shift in your weight, body comp, energy, etc since starting this, it's not likely you'll just turn and pile on a ton of weight out of nowhere. Have you plugged a usual day's worth of food into a calorie/macro tracker to see what it looks like? That may help answer your questions better.

My take? If it works, go with it.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Dark chocolate is almost all saturated fat with hardly any polyunsaturated fat to speak of. There is actually some protein in it - 13g in a 100g serving, which is significant. It is also extremely high in minerals. It is shockingly high in copper, magnesium, iron, zinc and manganese. 100g of dark chocolate is only 500 calories, which is a pretty typical breakfast/lunch for a female, so it's in line with where your kcals should be if you eat around a ~1,000-1,200 kcal dinner.

Sure, you'd probably see better muscle gain or something swapping those calories for eggs or steak or something, but I don't see anything wrong with it. You may want to monitor your skin and sleep due to the theobrime content, but I don't know how overblown people's sensitivities are. Chocolate has never made me feel anything but awesome. I just made a huge pile of chocolate-covered pecan cheesecake bikes. I'm stoked for tonight. Wine, chocolate and seafood!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-13-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Dark chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium...100g unsweetened baking chocolate has >300mg. I don't think supplementation is a big issue unless OP is showing symptoms of not having enough in her diet.
    Cacao is pretty high in phytic acid. While this may or may not affect absorption of magnesium (and other minerals) for everyone, 100g of 100% dark chocolate every day is a lot of chocolate.

Cacao powder can have nearly 1800mg of phytic acid per 100g (source). This is more phytic acid per dry weight than almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and brown rice. Actual chocolate may not have quite that amount, but if you're eating 100g every day, it'd probably be a good idea to supplement with magnesium every few days.
    Last edited by tarek; 10-13-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Cacao is pretty high in phytic acid. While this may or may not affect absorption of magnesium (and other minerals) for everyone, 100g of 100% dark chocolate every day is a lot of chocolate.

Cacao powder can have nearly 1800mg of phytic acid per 100g (source). This is more phytic acid per dry weight than almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and brown rice. Actual chocolate may not have quite that amount, but if you're eating 100g every day, it'd probably be a good idea to supplement with magnesium every few days.
    Are those levels for raw un processed cacao or are you saying that dark chocolate would still have high levels?

Wouldn't the fermentation process used to bring out the chocolaty flavour reduce the phytic acid?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Are those levels for raw un processed cacao or are you saying that dark chocolate would still have high levels?

Wouldn't the fermentation process used to bring out the chocolaty flavour reduce the phytic acid?
    Here's a quote from Living With Phytic Acid (may or may not be the most reliable source):

"Raw unfermented cocoa beans and normal cocoa powder are extremely high in phytates. Processed chocolates may also contain phytates. White chocolate or cocoa butter probably does not contain phytates. More evidence is needed as to phytate content of prepared chocolates and white chocolate."

I don't think eating chocolate will necessarily cause deficiencies or insomnia or anything, but an entire bar of 100% dark chocolate every day is a lot, and if that constitutes nearly 1/3 of your caloric intake, I'd supplement just to be safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast