Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having a Hard Time Eating Enough Protein page

sra1984 is offline Member

Question Having a Hard Time Eating Enough Protein

Shop Now
    So, I switched to this primal/paleo diet two weeks ago and am having a really hard time getting all of it in that I need to to maintain my lean body mass. Does anyone have any idea how I can get more protein in. I have been taken off of beef products for the next few months, which is probably not helping me. I can usually get 60-80 grams in a day, but more than that is ridiculously difficult for me. Any suggestion would help! I don't want to lose my muscles!
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

peril is offline Senior Member
    What is a typical day's food for you? Why can you not eat beef?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Studies have actually shown that at least 60 grams of protein per day is plenty for building muscle. That's just building muscle, not maintaining it. I think you have nothing to worry about.

Aside from that, don't you eat fish or anything like that? Same thing, it's got protein.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Protein shakes or whey supplement powder. Not a lot of calories, but a lot of protein. No, it's not straight up whole food. But if people can use their "20" for pizza and beer, I don't think it's out of line to use one's 20 for protein supplementation.

That said, while 60-80 grams is low for me, it's certainly enough for a lot of people.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    60g of protein sounds fine to me, you don't need a ton of protein to maintain lean mass. If you're looking at non-near sources, go for some Greek yogurt.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    While 60 grams may be "enough", more percentage wise isn't going to hurt. It helps you feel full.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Don't sweat it. All these percentages are rough guidelines. As you are transitioning to the Primal version of Paleo just try to stick to the major components and slowly fine tune as you go. Try to maintain a basic plan, whether is is Primal or not, for at least a month before making any more changes. It takes a while for your gut flora and other body mechanisms to figure out what is going on.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How about chicken breast if you can't have beef. Or some kind of plain white fish.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Protein shakes or whey supplement powder. Not a lot of calories, but a lot of protein.
    ^Good advice here.^

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    High protein isn't necessary unless you are certain you are losing weight, and are trying to minimise muscle loss as much as possible. If thats the case you should also be weight lifting to preserve lean mass. 60-80 g of protein a day should be fine. If you really want more try lean protein e.g. cottage cheese, chicken breast, tuna or just protein powder.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast