Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having a Hard Time Eating Enough Protein page 2

sra1984 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    What is a typical day's food for you? Why can you not eat beef?
    I generally start off the day with a couple of eggs mixed in with the veggies of my choice- or if I am feeling lazy I will do a smoothie with almond milk. Trying to find some sort of acceptable protein powder to use- whey protein isolate, I guess. Lunch is generally some sort of salad with some kind of meat. Dinner tends to be some form of chicken, fish or turkey. Looking into things like venison and elk. Mostly, I am just trying to apply the concepts of the diet- I have cut out grain completely.

I can't do beef because I have been instructed not to by my doctor until my good cholesterol levels perk up- they are pretty abysmally low. My triglycerides have skyrocketed, which is why she recommended the paleo/primal program for me and I have been doing it to the best of my abilities since. I do have a lot of weight to lose and I want to make sure I maintain my lean body mass and just lose fat. As it happens, I have a lot of lean body mass- something to the tune of around 170 pounds of it, which I thought must be wrong, but I have been told it is right. So, that means, a lot of protein, but I have a hard time keeping it to 90 grams.
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do eat fish and chicken and turkey and eggs- I just get full before I am able to eat enough to qualify for even the .5 gram per lean body mass by the end of the day. I want to follow my hunger signals and I know I am supposed to, but I am in a quandry because I really don't want to lose my lean body mass.
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Which protein powders are considered the best options? They confuse the heck out of me no matter how many blog posts I've read about it that Mark writes.
    Stephanie

I'm definitely losing weight- down 17 pounds since I started- that's what has me concerned about the protein levels. I do weight train (light- I am no bodybuilder) and I want to start to do the body-weight exercises Mark talks about in the free book about exercise. Mostly, I am just afraid to do a pull up, sadly. I am making it my goal to learn over the next 3 to 6 months though. Just to be able to say that I can- a vast improvement over terrified. Mostly, I am just trying to prevent myself from getting diabetes down the road though- maintaining lean body mass seems important to that- so I am pretty concerned about my protein intake overall. I have never really been a protein eater before- mostly a carb addict, really, but the threat of diabetes in ten to twenty years is more than enough to convince me otherwise.
    Stephanie

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1984 View Post
    I'm definitely losing weight- down 17 pounds since I started- that's what has me concerned about the protein levels. I do weight train (light- I am no bodybuilder) and I want to start to do the body-weight exercises Mark talks about in the free book about exercise. Mostly, I am just afraid to do a pull up, sadly. I am making it my goal to learn over the next 3 to 6 months though. Just to be able to say that I can- a vast improvement over terrified. Mostly, I am just trying to prevent myself from getting diabetes down the road though- maintaining lean body mass seems important to that- so I am pretty concerned about my protein intake overall. I have never really been a protein eater before- mostly a carb addict, really, but the threat of diabetes in ten to twenty years is more than enough to convince me otherwise.
    17 lb, that's not bad. Keep at it! And you'll get a pullup sometime. It'll be easier as you lose weight and get stronger.

Here are some whey protein brands. I've been using the first for a while. It tastes ok in water, and its ingredients are better than most powders out there, but it still isn't exactly primal, so I'm transitioning away from it. I just bought a bag of the second but haven't used it yet. It's pretty much all whey, and I'm not sure how it tastes. Protein powders don't beat real food for quality, but they definitely are cheap and convenient.

Amazon.com: Optimum Nutrition - 100% Whey Gold Chocolate, 5 lb powder: Health & Personal Care
    100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate - Natural from NOW on sale. Find information about NOW

Try to get as much of your protein as possible from stuff like meat, eggs, and fish, and any dairy that you can handle, though. Best of luck!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Eating animal is the best way to build a favourable lipid profile. I'd concentrate on that and forget the almond milk and liquid protein

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Don't get wound up in all the numbers (60g is plenty), just eat real food, get some bouts of exercise, lots of slow movement, reduce stress behaviours (like worrying too much about lean body mass), get good sleep, have fun and let your body become accustomed to the changes.
    Down the track you will find out it really isn't all that complicated, just allow yourself to adapt over time.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Which protein powders are considered the best options? They confuse the heck out of me no matter how many blog posts I've read about it that Mark writes.
    There's isn't that much to say really. You want to get the cheapest whey protein that is above 70% protein, below that is crap. Unflavoured has the least ingredients, so it might be healthier (flavoured has lots of artificial ingredients and such). Whey protein is more or less the same so don't sweat it too much. Gold standard whey is fine (but expensive). Grass fed makes essentially no difference, but you may want to support better farming practices.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I can't do beef because I have been instructed not to by my doctor until my good cholesterol levels perk up- they are pretty abysmally low.
    Get a doctor who knows what he's talking about. Eat the damn beef.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs/egg whites, whey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast