Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who likes homemade hard apple cider? come on in page

paint94979 is offline Senior Member

Who likes homemade hard apple cider? come on in

Shop Now
    This is my first shot at homemade hard apple cider... I have home brewed beer for years that is until i went Paleo/Primal so my life as had a void in it haha. I went this past tuesday to a local apple orchard and picked up 12 gallons of fresh pressed raw and unfiltered apple juice. Cider requires various steps to kill natural growing yeast, remove the cloudiness and finally pitch(add) the yeast. So here we are roughly 9 hours into primary fermentation. FYI I am fermenting with 2 types of liquid yeast the carboy on the left is White Labs Cider yeast and the carboy or the right is Wyeast Cider yeast. The Wyeast is a quick starter no doubt. Oh by the way this cider is going to finish around 7.2% abv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxPTf8wD7zw

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Mmmmm feel free to ship it to me when its done
    Im going to be making mead as soon as the local beekeeper has heather honey avalible.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    Ooh! My dad does that and he always churns out amazing results. I don't have the know how or drive to do it. I make spices cider.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

It definitely takes a certain type of person to make/brew alcoholic beverages.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I also make hard cider. We have done it more times than I can count now. It is fun. We mix it up by adding other juices like tart cherry and pomegranate.

I hope it turns out well for you!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    I've been brewing hard cider for two years, absolutely love the stuff. I usually use Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast. This is the first year I am using unpasteurized, unfiltered, raw apple cider. I didn't do anything to try and kill the natural yeast/molds because I wanted the additional aromas present, 1118 will outcompete them anyway. What kind of sugar source are you adding to your brew? Do you do a secondary fermentation in the bottle?

OG was 1.053 and it will finish at .999 or should anyways. So I added no sugar just raw unpasteurized apple juice. I wanted to keep it simple, I am personally not a fan of how champagne yeast finishes cider.

My last batch finished at about 8.5%ABV, I finished it with organic maple syrup for secondary fermentation in the bottle, completely changed it. Was crisp and dry, with a maple aftertaste.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I would like very much to like hard cider, but I've never had one that I really enjoyed. My latest disappointment was an Angry Orchard Ginger that had no ginger flavor to speak of. I rarely like high alcohol beers either, so maybe there's something there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    My last batch finished at about 8.5%ABV, I finished it with organic maple syrup for secondary fermentation in the bottle, completely changed it. Was crisp and dry, with a maple aftertaste.
    This, however, sounds delicious!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

The problem with most ciders is that they are made overly sweet, when you brew your own you are in control. Doc's is decent, so is Magners, they are still sweet though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast