Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who likes homemade hard apple cider? come on in page 3

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I LOOOVE hard cider. It is, by far, my favorite alcoholic beverage. As it just so happens, I live within walking distance to a great brew pub with ONLY cider on tap and about a hundre options in cold cases. The silver lining to this already fantastic setup is the farm-to-table completely gluten-free restaurant across the street from said pub that delivers. (omg, I may never leave this neighborhood.)

Our favorites are:

1. Two Towns Bad Apple. Brewed with meadowfoam honey and possibly magic. #1 in all of mankind.
    2. Finnriver Dry Hopped.
    3. Finnriver Habanero Cider. This is one of my DH's favorites. I never would have tried it if not forced and so glad I did.
    4. Aspall sparkling cider.
    5. Crispin english. For camping only, as it comes in cans. I pretty much hate every other kind they make.
    6. Two Rivers Pink Lady.
    7. Alpenfire Pirate's Plank. Likely the driest cider made. Like paint thinner dry. Quality can vary but the good bottles are really good.
    8. Reverend Nat's. Ginger or Apricot hopped.

Wow. I guess I like to drink. ha

Based on what the vast majority serve as hard cider, I thought I didn't like it for years. Most big labels sell something akin to juice gone bad. Turns out there is an amazing world of cider available and it's within stumbling distance of my front door.

Highly recommend everyone explore this more.

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about incorporating new flavor into my ciders, particularly hops. How is the dry hopped cider?

My next batch with probably have some berries added and less honey.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I have a pear tree, it yielded about 150 pears...this has me thinking...What yeast should I use

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I love the cider from the Albemarle Cider Works in North Garden, Virginia, but it's a 6 or so hour drive, so I don't get it much. They use heirloom apples to make their cider. Virginia has had a bunch of cideries pop up in recently years. I also like the ciders from Foggy Ridge - they're near the North Carolina state line, they also use heirloom variety apples.

Otherwise, I drink Woodchuck - I like their Granny Smith. Woodchuck has made a cider with maple syrup, but I didn't care for the maple aftertaste. Before that, they did a spring cider with honey, which was delicious with Chinese food. I also like Crispin the Saint.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I love to cook with hard cider. Goes fantastically well with pork, nice in turkey gravy too. Not a big drinker myself, but I remember loving Scrumpy, particularly the cloudy stuff you get out of the vats in the walls in Cornwall/Devon. Not worth me making it for cooking though
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    I never thought about cooking with it, how do you do it? Do you marinate the meats with it or work it into sauces?

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    I never thought about cooking with it, how do you do it? Do you marinate the meats with it or work it into sauces?
    Mainly work into sauces. This has been a family favourite for years Fast Roast Pork with Rosemary and Caramelised Apples - Pork Recipes - Recipes - from Delia Online
    Also this weekend I did the Thanksgiving turkey from Gordon Ramsay, it had a gravy made using cider to deglaze the pan then reduce, delicious!.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123