Thread: craving carbs is not a healthy thing it's a sign of low serotonine page

0bsydian is offline Junior Member

craving carbs is not a healthy thing it's a sign of low serotonine

Shop Now
    so I was depressed and it turned out that I wasn't really depressed and changed from the pills to 5htp and I got better my carb cravings vanished and I can go without them easily

the research seems to back this one up

Carbohydrate craving, obesity and brain serotonin. [Appetite. 1986] - PubMed - NCBI
    Brain serotonin, carbohydrate-craving, obesity and ... [Obes Res. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

so how does serotonine management come into being with the primal lifestyle? having in mind that caveman never had problems with it

yes, I am well aware that this is not a substitute for mental health, just asking

fatcrazylady is offline Member
    5htp is an byproduct of an amino acid, meaning, protein not carbs. The AA tryptophan breaks down into 5htp by enzyme action, then further breaks down into serotonin and melatonin. To eat primaly to get the same results, seek high tryptophan foods, like, oh, turkey.

Some people, like myself, cannot break down gluten properly. A partial stage of gluten - like 5htp is of tryptophan, is an opiate-like substance that attaches to dopamine receptors. It took being nearly a year GF and then getting glutened to know that I am certainly one of them. I had trace gluten and then went insane with cravings. I got mad, got tired of fighting, and went out and got a very gluteny meal I'd been craving. Within 30 minutes, I may as well have had a dose of codeine or Xanax. I was sooooo mellow, I was nearly drunk, and had a difficult time concentrating on the road.

So yeah, grains make us "feel great"... But in a lot of folks, it's the wrong kind of great. Eat the protein, dump the grains. That's how you resolve it with eating primaly.

fatcrazylady is offline Member
    Oh, and as far as serotonin, I was off of my SSRI antidepressant completely in about 3 months strictly gluten-free.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcrazylady View Post
    5htp is an byproduct of an amino acid, meaning, protein not carbs. The AA tryptophan breaks down into 5htp by enzyme action, then further breaks down into serotonin and melatonin. To eat primaly to get the same results, seek high tryptophan foods, like, oh, turkey.

Some people, like myself, cannot break down gluten properly. A partial stage of gluten - like 5htp is of tryptophan, is an opiate-like substance that attaches to dopamine receptors. It took being nearly a year GF and then getting glutened to know that I am certainly one of them. I had trace gluten and then went insane with cravings. I got mad, got tired of fighting, and went out and got a very gluteny meal I'd been craving. Within 30 minutes, I may as well have had a dose of codeine or Xanax. I was sooooo mellow, I was nearly drunk, and had a difficult time concentrating on the road.

So yeah, grains make us "feel great"... But in a lot of folks, it's the wrong kind of great. Eat the protein, dump the grains. That's how you resolve it with eating primaly.
    that one sucks, gluten only bloats me up nothing more for a while I tried low GI low gluten grains and made my own bread at home from stuff like spelt

Quote Originally Posted by fatcrazylady View Post
    Oh, and as far as serotonin, I was off of my SSRI antidepressant completely in about 3 months strictly gluten-free.
    good to know