0bsydian is offline Junior Member

I'm hypothyroid

Primal Fuel
    and the question is what should I eat and do, besides taking my medication

I wasn't always fat and hypo

Zach is offline Banned
    Eat more sugar.

otzi Guest
    Give us some particulars: age, weights, drugs, lab values...hypothyroidism has many faces, just about all are represented here. We could help if we knew more.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    From what I hear, plenty of healthy fat helps the hormones. VLC seems to help a LOT of hypothyroid women lose weight also!!

solobiker is offline Member
    I would be interested in how others do as well. I have had hypothyroidism since 1988. I have read mixed messsges on what is the best course of action. Some say vlc is not a good way to go, others say it is. I am a female and am in my early 40s.

muddy is offline Junior Member
    I have hashimoto's so I am also interested in hearing anything about other people who are doing this type of eating too.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I have hashi's and have never felt right on VLC. You can try it, but don't be afraid to admit it doesn't work for you.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0bsydian View Post
    and the question is what should I eat and do, besides taking my medication

I wasn't always fat and hypo
    There seems to be a number of possible causes for hypothyroidism, and a number of different forms of it. IIIRC, Dr. Kharrazian lists seven in this book:

Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? when My Lab Tests Are Normal: a Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism: Dr. Datis Kharrazian: 9780985690403: Amazon.com: Books

But it's a difficult read and a long time since I read it, so I won't attempt to summarize anything in that book.

It does seems there's often an autoimmune issue at the bottom of hypothyroidism -- though not always. A matter for tests really. It's possible to test for the antibodies, although doctors tend to be pretty slack about doing so. So far as I know, the National Health Service in the UK doesn't test for that all. However, at least some British doctors are evidently aware that auotoimmunity can be involved, since an eye doctor told me only the other day that sore eyes often accompany the condition because -- I quote -- "the antibodies attack the fat at the back of the eye". Interesting. But the NHS is a fairly decrepit machine: in practice they're going to do the fewest and cheapest tests possible and patch over problems. In this case, that means giving you levothyroxine and forgetting you. The situation's probably different in the U.S. -- there you're paying at the point of delivery but doctors are perhaps readier to negotiate with you and do what you want so long as you do pay.

If antibodies are present with you, then I guess a direct answer to your question would be that you should try to find out if any foodstuffs cause you to make them and not eat anything that does.

Jack Kruse has an article here on hormone cascades that he says can happen with inflammation:

Hormones, leptin, cortisol, adrenal resistance, Cenegenic Medical Institute, Robb Wolf

If nothing else, it's an interesting read as showing how complex all of this can be.

It seems to me it's not something for random advice. I note in one thread where Jack replies to a questioner on his site to go and get some lab tests, saying that until you do you're "shooting fish in a barrel":

Hypothyroid but always hot, why? plus other questions

But I doubt a standard paleo/primal diet is going to do anyone any harm with pretty much any condition, and it can probably help most. If you have got autoimmune problems, then you'd want to do a somewhat stricter version. People like Jack, Robb Wolf, Terry Wahls, and others have "autoimmune protocols" available.

If you're serious about getting to the bottom of things, then I guess you begin with some labs.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Lewis is spot on, you absolutely need to have your antibodies checked (thyroglobulin antibody and thyroid peroxidase) something like 90% of hypothyroid is autoimmune Hashimoto's. My doctor just checked my TSH, I had to insist that they test the antibodies and sure enough they were elevated which means I have Hashi's. The thing is even if you are diagnosed with Hashi's most doctors will not change treatment. If you do end up having it you need to find a doctor that has experience treating it. I'm trying the paleo autoimmune protocol diet; it's too soon to tell if it's helping. Btw, and you may know this already, but if you have any autoimmune condition gluten should be strictly avoided.

Here's a link to an interview with Dr. Datis Kharrazian:

Why Isn't My Brain Working? with Dr. Datis Kharrazian 06/25 by DrLoRadio | Health Podcasts
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    ... something like 90% of hypothyroid is autoimmune Hashimoto's.
    Golly! That high? Definitely something to pay attention to then.

The thing is even if you are diagnosed with Hashi's most doctors will not change treatment.
    They wouldn't. This is the thing. I think it's partly because doctors have been conned into drugs-based medicine by the Pharmaceutical industry. All too often, if there's not a drug for it, nothing can be done, in their minds. Few doctors have got any conception of dietary interventions, for example. I've never heard of even one advising hypothyroid patients to be aware of goitogens, or to be sure to eat foods with pre-formed vitamin A in (such as oily fish), since the conversion from beta-carotene to A can be a problem for some (google: hypothyroid orange skin).

Doctors mean well, but the pharmaceutical industry has millions of dollars at its disposal to "bend" research ... and to advertise at doctors. Doctors are the most intensively advertised-at people on the planet, if you reckon it up in dollars spent on advertising per person in the target audience and they don't even realise:

David Healy, author of Pharmageddon, visits the show to drop some ginormous truth bombs regarding what is REALLY wrong with healthcare and the pharmaceutical industry.

Topics include how patents, prescription-only status, and company-funded controlled trials have turned medicine away from care and into a marketing machine.
    Pharmageddon: How Big Pharma Hijacked Healthcare | Underground Wellness

Dr. Healy knows what he's talking about:

Dr. David Healy is an internationally respected psychiatrist, psychopharmacologist, scientist, and author. A professor of Psychiatry in Wales, David studied medicine in Dublin, and at Cambridge University. He is a former Secretary of the British Association for Psychopharmacology, and has authored more than 150 peer-reviewed articles, 200 other pieces, and 20 books, including The Antidepressant Era and The Creation of Psychopharmacology from Harvard University Press, The Psychopharmacologists Volumes 1-3 and Let Them Eat Prozac from New York University Press, and Mania from Johns Hopkins University Press.
    DavidHealy.org | Dr. David Healy Bio

He also has an attractive soft Irish accent which will doubtless please the ladies. LOL

If you do end up having it you need to find a doctor that has experience treating it. I'm trying the paleo autoimmune protocol diet; it's too soon to tell if it's helping. Btw, and you may know this already, but if you have any autoimmune condition gluten should be strictly avoided.
    Interesting. Here's Jack Kruse's version:

Brain Gut 6: Epi-Paleo Rx - Living an Optimized Life

He also says there that some types of casein in dairy products have a "massive link to Hashimoto’s". I guess it might be best for anyone who knows they have this condition to avoid even butter, although ghee, which has had the remaining proteins removed, might be OK.

There'll be other resources to be found if anyone googles:

paleo autoimmune protocol
    Last edited by Lewis; 10-13-2013 at 09:36 AM.