Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Peat "Fat loss" Failures? page 5

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    my definition of design failure = having to consciously control calories.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Women have it a little harder than men because they gain weight much easily. The men here eating high carb don't seem to control calories.

Also, weight loss isn't a feature in Peat, just a side effect of a healthy metabolism. That's my take on it anyway. A person with healthy metabolism in theory would be at proper weight without even trying.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    well I spent 39 years screwing up my metabolism, so that battle's already lost
    at any rate, high carb = automatic ("insidious"?) weight gain for this guy.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Peat "Fat loss" Failures?

Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    Well that seals it for me, then, because I have little interest in avoiding dietary fat, "cutting it way way way down" so I can replace it with sugar etc. 10 days of otzi's dry-fried potatoes was fine as a hack, but beyond that the whole idea conjures up images of the fake low/zero-fat "foods" people on calorie-counting SAD diets inflict on themselves. I'm sure your/Peat's version of LF is less miserable than that, and cycling VLC/VLF days would help--but then I'd have two (faddish? ) extremes to maintain!

I've sort of been trying this lately by default in my current flailing attempts to 'right the ship' after the great sugar experiment--steak and eggs and salad one day, then caving in to established fruit/sugar cravings the next. So whatever metabolic effect separating the fat/carb intake has, I doubt that the strategy would do much for me on the satiety front, which seems to be the key for me staying on track. Sounds like it's working great for you though!
    Okay. Well,

No fake foods for me. Just fruit, gelatin/bone broth, juice, and liver/seafood/lean meat on higher carb days.

And I thought I would be really hungry all the time but I am not. I was that way with the potato hack but not once I cut starch out. I had a breakfast/lunch of gelatin, medjool dates, mango and super ripe banana and am about to have dinner (celebration dinner out since my friend is visiting me from Austin). No hunger pangs in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Zach is offline Banned
    Most people who eat "Peat" and gain weight have one of three things going on. Either they have no idea what they are doing, they are coming from a broken metabolism (aka low carb) or they just think its a sugar and fat free for all.

There is a ton to this diet, its not just a green light on sugar.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I am kind of a perfectionist so I am not sure taking it would be good for me. If I didn't get a "high score" I would be probably deviated, even though I know the test is skewed towards just testing analytical and abstract thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mensa has an IQ test that can be taken online. I'm thinking about doing that sometime next week when I have the time and am on my desktop. It's in English too, which is not my native language. I'm just curious to find out if my brain still functions, I don't care how I score.

What if I am actually stupid? Lol. I would be so sad.
    Far from it, from what I can tell.

Zach is offline Banned
    Gray, whats your native language?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Gray, whats your native language?
    Zach, it's of the Eastern European variety

Re. Peat and weight loss: I'm one of the people who have had success with that from the get go.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Most people who eat "Peat" and gain weight have one of three things going on. Either they have no idea what they are doing, they are coming from a broken metabolism (aka low carb) or they just think its a sugar and fat free for all.

There is a ton to this diet, its not just a green light on sugar.
    but my metabolism broke eating high carb, low fat

and yes, i'm counting grains and rice and fruit all together because they all affect me the same way

no one diet is going to be great for everyone, no matter how many ways it's spun, and a handful of people from the low carb and high carb camp treating their way of eating as the holy grail for all is what's keeping a bug up this forum's ass

you low carbed it and it didn't work for you
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I lost weight rapidly on Peat at first: 8lbs in four weeks. Now I'm about 20-22% bf eating 2K+ cals a day and feel happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i'm counting grains and rice and fruit all together because they all affect me the same way
    Have you ever tried mono meals? It's the single best way to gage your response to what you eat, and then you work with that to find the right combos. It's very difficult to establish if all carbs affect you the same way unless you try that.

I mostly need to eat fruit with dairy, otherwise I'm hungry.

I'm still trying to find a food combo that lets me eat meat without feeling tired. So far cottage cheese is the only thing that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I see yogabare with her hula hoops, moluv with her handstands, and etc and I think "yes! That's what I want."
    Aw
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast