Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrient Deficient page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Nutrient Deficient

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating very little vegetables, though I love them, because I think I got too hung up on the 'very low carb' stuff. Now, I know the organ-meat-eaters here will shout that this is not a problem, but I'm not eating organ-meat. I do take a multivitamin and fish-oil. However, I'm feeling like I'm missing something. My arms are begining to show up with bruises all over them, and I just dont *look* right, like that nice glow that I've had when at my healthiest and strongest. I get plenty of sun and eat plenty of fat. But something is missing and I don't feel right-- I need nutrient-rich foods and I need them fast.

I think Iron is important to look at right now for me, especially with the bruising, and possibly vitamin-C too (since i'm really not eating much citrus?). Please, give me your input on getting your vitamins and minerals from vegetables. Which ones? I eat a lot of spinach and kale but it seems like the leaves in a salad can't possibly provide all that I need.

Oh yeah, and IRON PLEASE?

-写

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    just did a quick google search since bruising sounded familiar. This link might help
    http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/defi.asp
    Calm the f**k down.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    You may want to consider a supplement such as Perfect Food, which contains a wide range of greens:

Perfect Food capsules
    http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-...lets/3157?at=0

Perfect Food powder
    http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-...ings/3155?at=0

You can't get much more nutrient-rich than this!

There are a very large number of potential causes of easy bruising (I found one list that had 330 potential causes!). I would say, just start introducing colorful, nonstarchy veggies into your diet, and go from there.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    eat some brocolli and spinach tonight.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nutritionfacts/fitday it up. Go through each and every essential nutrient and ensure that you have a viable source. Steamed spinach is good; you're not going to get a lot of minerals from vegetables unless they're cooked. Eat insidey parts of animals like hearts and kidneys, take supplements if needed. Lack of good nutrition is like the worst thing you can do to your body other than guzzling a bottle of soybean oil.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Eat insidey parts of animals like hearts and kidneys, take supplements if needed. Lack of good nutrition is like the worst thing you can do to your body other than guzzling a bottle of soybean oil.
    this made me laugh. insidey parts. so much cuter-sounding than organs. i like it.

would you rather guzzle a bottle of soybean oil, or eat 20 slices of white bread?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    I think Iron is important to look at right now for me, especially with the bruising, and possibly vitamin-C too (since i'm really not eating much citrus?). Please, give me your input on getting your vitamins and minerals from vegetables. Which ones? I eat a lot of spinach and kale but it seems like the leaves in a salad can't possibly provide all that I need.

-写
    think dark and bright. red bell peppers have more C than another other food per *calorie*
    kale
    broccoli
    berries
    spinach
    dark and bright.....dark and bright

It's probably not an iron problem as much as it's a C, B6 problem....but it could be iron.

I take Natrol My Favorite Multi Take One (link in my sig line). It's $9.50 for 60 days worth and is just right for me. I also take several thousand mg C per day more for antioxidant protection in my skin than anything else.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    this made me laugh. insidey parts. so much cuter-sounding than organs. i like it.

would you rather guzzle a bottle of soybean oil, or eat 20 slices of white bread?
    Ooer, good question. Probably the white bread because the damage would be relatively transient and repairable whereas the PUFAs from the oil would accumulate in my tissues and pwn me constantly for weeks.

edit: not to mention the phytoestrogens would probably make me grow some breasts.

Grains are like the neolithic bird food that's keeping most of the world from truly thriving whereas industrial oils are like contemporary death food that is causing a plague.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-08-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Grains are like the neolithic bird food that's keeping most of the world from truly thriving whereas industrial oils are like contemporary death food that is causing a plague.
    +1

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dulse and kelp are also great sources of minerals if you can't quite stomach the stomachs and whatnot. Or so I've heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast