Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Crossfit? page

pk79 is offline Member

What is Crossfit?

Primal Fuel
    I don't mean like what is it, but what's an average workout? I've glanced through the site and know the very basics. I started up p90x, but my apartment's too small to do everything and every time i do it I get through about a month, but it's a lot to keep doing. Now I'm looking for something I can actually keep with.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Did you glance through the WODS (workout of the day) on the mainsite? That can give you an idea. http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/10/...reg-glassm.tpl this is their famous "What is Fitness" article. "Constantly Varied, Functional Movements executed at High Intensity" here is your definition :P

Some people go to a CrossFit gym, and some just CrossFit on their own. Usually a workout will consist of a warmup, a skill segment, and a quick 10-15 minute high intensity sprint like workout based on time. Most workouts are doubles or triples consisting of rounds of 2 or 3 exercises. Unless you are a very experienced lifter I would advise going to an affiliate gym and not trying it on your own.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post
    Did you glance through the WODS (workout of the day) on the mainsite? That can give you an idea. http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/10/...reg-glassm.tpl this is their famous "What is Fitness" article. "Constantly Varied, Functional Movements executed at High Intensity" here is your definition :P

Some people go to a CrossFit gym, and some just CrossFit on their own. Usually a workout will consist of a warmup, a skill segment, and a quick 10-15 minute high intensity sprint like workout based on time. Most workouts are doubles or triples consisting of rounds of 2 or 3 exercises. Unless you are a very experienced lifter I would advise going to an affiliate gym and not trying it on your own.
    I absolutely agree with this. I am a crossfit fiend and absolutely love it. However, for anything more than bodyweight exercises I highly recommend going to an affiliated crossfit gym and doing it safely!

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I absolutely agree with this. I am a crossfit fiend and absolutely love it. However, for anything more than bodyweight exercises I highly recommend going to an affiliated crossfit gym and doing it safely!
    Assuming it is a good affiliate....
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    For Crossfit using bodyweight only, check this PDF which was posted over in the CF forum.

For a very simple bodyweight routine, SimpleFit has yielded good results for me. SimpleFit might even be your springboard into Crossfit.

Stevo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
    For Crossfit using bodyweight only, check this PDF which was posted over in the CF forum.

For a very simple bodyweight routine, SimpleFit has yielded good results for me. SimpleFit might even be your springboard into Crossfit.
    Thanks for sharing the PDF. Great resource and ideas for workouts.

Stevo

Sherryl is offline Member
    Mavrick....pretty much captured crossfit. I just wanted to let you know I've done crossfit for a little over a year now and love it!! They cover every body part and it is always different. You will see your weight poundage go up steadily with great detail given to proper form. Good Luck!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Check out http://www.wodshop.org/

They have a good selection of WODs (Workouts Of the Day). They split them up by different types - weightlifting/chippers (designed to bring you to your knees)/couplets (2 exercises performed 1 after the other x times)/triplets(3 exercises performed 1 after another x times)/etc.

I think that the main site workouts have changed from a couple of years back. They have gotten harder and sometimes more technical in nature. That's fine for people that have been following the site for awhile, but new people coming in would have a rough time with them.

Anyway - www.crossfit.com is a great place to get info on what crossfit is. www.wodshop.com for some sample wods.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

tonga is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post

I have to second the simplefit workout as I've been getting really good results for the past few weeks. Only thing I'd like to add is that there is a significant amount of volume in the mid to high levels. For example, I ended up doing 250 air squats yesterday. Seems excessive to me......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast