Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Crossfit? page 3

cancerguy99 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is very true. I'm much more social with the people at my CF gym than I ever was at 24hr fitness. The only other time I was that social was when I played raquetball and it was more like a pub than a health club. Plus, you ae around a bunch of like minded Primal/Paleo/Zone people so when we have BBqs the food is GREAT! And we use our 20% on beer.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I believe crossfit is for those who find working out to be more than just working out. It's a spiritual experience (at-least for me), and it allows us to grow mentally and physically.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member
    So this is a little off topic, but still about CrossFit. do you find you need more/less/same amount of carbs as others while still progressing at the gym? I haev a friend who SWEARS I'm too low carb for these workouts & i'm wondering if there's a "smart" carb range for progressing or if its just personal or if its just mental fortitude above carb importance...thoughts?

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleNappingLion View Post
    So this is a little off topic, but still about CrossFit. do you find you need more/less/same amount of carbs as others while still progressing at the gym? I haev a friend who SWEARS I'm too low carb for these workouts & i'm wondering if there's a "smart" carb range for progressing or if its just personal or if its just mental fortitude above carb importance...thoughts?
    Usually with shorter, more intense workouts, low carb tends to be better. This is why Paleo eating is so embraced within Crossfit. I'm sure a lot of it is personal, but since most training sessions are so short and intense, the need for carbs tends to be low to nonexistent. Usually people find that low-carb tends to be great for crossfit as they lean out much better and have improved performance.

Carbs usually help those better who train for longer periods of time. For instance, my training sessions can run on average 2 to 2.5 hours. So I tend to do better when I eat carbs in and around training (most sweet potatoes or potatoes and fruit).

However, on the occasion that I do a MetCon or brief workout (30-40 minutes) I feel that I don't need carbs as the ntensity is high and the overall time is low, and I don't completely deplete glycogen, making carbohydrates unnecessary for performance.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    i am learning about crossfit but I am having a hard time seeing how doing it three to four days a week is primal. it looks like that when you, you give it your all (my friend goes and says it isn't a fun workout unless she vomits...). but according to the primal fitness blueprint, one really should only being going full out every seven to ten days. am i missing something? thanks

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMS131 View Post
    The price I pay ($135 per month for three workouts a week) to workout at my affiliate is worth it to me 100%.
    Ouch! We pay $90 per month and they offer workouts 5 days a week. 3 different times monday, tuesday, thursday and friday and one time on sunday. You can come to as many or as few workouts a week as you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    i am learning about crossfit but I am having a hard time seeing how doing it three to four days a week is primal. it looks like that when you, you give it your all (my friend goes and says it isn't a fun workout unless she vomits...). but according to the primal fitness blueprint, one really should only being going full out every seven to ten days. am i missing something? thanks
    Nope. Not really missing anything. CrossFit doesn't really fit the PB fitness profile but it DOES avoid the chronic cardio profile too. Sure you are working hard each workout and raising your heart rate and all that but it is for a very short time frame.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I imagine the social thing would be great, I'd love to have that. If I join CF that will be a major reason.
    But the kinds of strength gains you crossfit people talk about are really kind of not-that-great, I have to say. Deadlifting 100 lb after 3.5 months of intense, coached training? Surely you started at least @ 50lb?
    Somebody else on a different thread had not-quite got a pullup yet after like 4 months or something.
    Anyone who goes with a linear strength progression is going to gain strength a lot, a lot, faster than that. I'd be really interested to hear cfers clean and jerk numbers, 100meter times, 400 meter times, # of clapping pushups, and other stats.

Well that was me with the 4 months and not quite having my pull up yet. But I am VERY close, and have been very careful about working on it. The reason being because I screwed up one of my rotator cuffs a couple years ago by doing to many pull-ups and push-upsback when I was working out on my own. Also keep in mind that everyone progresses at their own pace based on age, genetics, diet, and how hard they really want to train. I'm not all that interested in making huge gains in the amount of weight I can lift. I'm interested in being able to do a lot of different body weight moves, losing my last few pounds of belly fat, gaining some balance in my strength (I had a reasonably high level of strength in MOST areas coming into CF but there are a few places I really lack) as my strength is gained from physical work over the years and is missing out in a few areas.
    And for some people deadlifting 100 lbs IS a big gain. We have a couple gals at my gym who work very hard to lift that much. But you know what? They are getting there.
    And we do incorporate what I would consider a linear strength program (I'm not up on the lingo so I may be mis interpreting what that would be) as part of our CF.

But yeah. The social part IS a big part of it. Nowhere else have I ever found a more positive group of people. This group is just as proud of the 100 lb over weight person who manages to do step ups onto an 8 inch box as they are of the super strong person who can jump onto a box that is 48 inches tall. And having a group to workout with provides incentive to show up every morning and be accountable, even if it really is up to me to be accountable to myself.

strom is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    its 160 a month for unlimited workouts here. I just do it once a week at 25 a pop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast