Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Crossfit? page 2

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I will say this for Crossfit: they've got massive balls to charge what they charge. My gym membership cost $40 per month, so I figure with Crossfit you're paying $80-$100 extra per month for lessons in masochism -- er, I mean, motivation from fellow fitness enthusiasts. Totally not worth it if you have 1. an active friend and 2. something to use for pullups.

I'm thankful to Cheapo for introducing Simplefit. You can change the pushups, squats and pullups to their one-limbed varieties if the volume gets too high for you.

Lindsay0311 Guest
    Seems like you found your answers but I have done crossfit since September and am ADDICTED!! I used to be one of those gym rats...1 hour or more in the gym...cardio then lifting, etc...now, I get it done quick and easy and have seen better results this past year than I have my whole life!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    I will say this for Crossfit: they've got massive balls to charge what they charge. My gym membership cost $40 per month, so I figure with Crossfit you're paying $80-$100 extra per month for lessons in masochism -- er, I mean, motivation from fellow fitness enthusiasts. Totally not worth it if you have 1. an active friend and 2. something to use for pullups.

I'm thankful to Cheapo for introducing Simplefit. You can change the pushups, squats and pullups to their one-limbed varieties if the volume gets too high for you.
    Does your gym provide provide a trainer to work with you every workout you do? If not, thats why you pay 40 dollars.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit.com
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post

I do have to disagree with you on this point. I used to be a trainer at an affiliate gym and I couldn't tell you how many people came to our sessions and couldn't even perform a squat. Sending them out on their own is downright dangerous.

In fact it's quite inexpensive for you what you get. A. A real gym B. The best community of people you can imagine C. Professional Guidance. As someone stated every session is directed by a trainer our gym usually had a 1:5(10 max) ratio of athlete to trainer.

Considering my rates are $50 an hour for one on one coaching the group option doesn't sound so expensive does it?

Even though that sounds expensive consider the amount of labor you pay to a mechanic, or any other professional service (doctors, lawyers, massage therapists etc...)

MMS131 is offline Junior Member
    I second Mav3rick - I do not think that the CrossFit affiliates are overpriced for what you're getting. The coaching I get at the CrossFit affiliate I work out at is amazing. Especially in the lifting area, I would never be able to do the workouts that I can now do without having the guidance of a good coach.

Before, I thought that doing bicep curls with 10 lb. weights was 'weightlifting'. Now, I deadlift over 100 lbs, squat over 100 lbs, and push press 53 lbs. This is after only three and a half months of CrossFit, and I'm getting stronger with each workout. Not only do I feel stronger, but my body composition definitely agrees that CrossFit is the best workout for me.

The price I pay ($135 per month for three workouts a week) to workout at my affiliate is worth it to me 100%.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Like everything Crossfit has it's good and bad points. Is it worth it to pay that much money if you already know how to squat/o'lift/etc? No. But if you don't and want to learn, it's a pretty good option assuming the affiliate is a good affiliate and actually knows how to teach complex lifts. This is where the main problems with Crossfit stem from: a few bad affiliates get most of the press. So it's not all bad, expensive but no more so than paying a PT or a coach to train you in complex lifts.

I still don't agree with the high-rep Snatches and Cleans, and nothing will change my mind and there's no good way to justify it. It's a waste of time, dangerous, reinforces poor form and although it's not a regular occurance for WODs, it's still stupid.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post
    In fact it's quite inexpensive for you what you get. A. A real gym B. The best community of people you can imagine C. Professional Guidance.
    Again, it depends on the affiliate. "Professional Guidance" sometimes is professional guidance, and sometimes it's idiocy. So if someone is paying that much for some nut-tard to teach them how to do reverse curl-shrugs upright rows (hang cleans) then no it's not worth it. However, if the affiliate is teaching them proper technique, of course it's all good.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

cancerguy99 is offline Member
    I agree with Mav3rick and MMS131, my GF and I pay $225 a month for unlimited sessions. She goes 3 times per wek and I go 4. That's about 28 sessions per month works out to about $8 a class. the more you go the less expensive it gets. The people there hold us accountable. We all help and encourage each other. We do stick and skills drills before every workout. It works great for us but it isn't for everyone.

That said, for every one person in an affiliate box, there may be 10 doing it at home in their garage.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't forget that for a lot of people it's also their social outlet. $100 a month to workout with a trainer and a social life is dirt cheap. I prefer being on my own, but can absolutely see where people would enjoy the group experience. To each their own.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast