Thread: Anyone else made the chocolate custard from the cookbook? page

JamieBelle is offline Member

Anyone else made the chocolate custard from the cookbook?

Primal Fuel
    Holy crap man. I'm going to have to figure out a way to cut the recipe in half because I can't have a casserole dish full of this stuff in my fridge!!!!!!

It is so yummy. Slice some strawberries to serve on top!!!

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    I got the same way with those diggity-dang clafoutis! I made a chocolate/hazelnut batch & thought I was scarfing brownies. I can't wait to play with the ice cream recipe!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I haven't made that custard, but I have done chocolate custard. You can use several small custard cups, which make individual servings. You just have to adjust the cook time a bit.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I got the same way with those diggity-dang clafoutis! I made a chocolate/hazelnut batch & thought I was scarfing brownies. I can't wait to play with the ice cream recipe!
    I require details on the chocolate/hazelnut clafouti.

PrimalPeg is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I require details on the chocolate/hazelnut clafouti.
    Me too! Peggy, please supply the details!

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    As requested:
    I make my clafouti "batter" with 4 eggs & 1/2 can coconut milk & adjust from there... I was experimenting using coconut oil instead of butter also.
    So to that add your fat of choice. I would say 3Tablespoons. Whip it good. in a separate bowl, put a little dribble of batter, 1tsp vanilla, spice(s) of choice (I put nutmeg & cardamon in that batch) and a tablespoon (or so) of cocoa, maybe 2. stir to a paste. Add paste to batter. Whip it good. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons hazelnut meal/flour (Bob's Red Mill makes it, or make your own). Dip pinky finger in batter and taste for personal preferences (more spice? more cocoa?). Grease up your pan(s) of choice with same fat as batter (I used glass custard dishes). Bake. If you use custard dishes, they will cook in about 20 min. I put blueberries on the bottom of one of them. The plain ones were good slightly warm. I was thinking it would make a good base for strawberry shortcake, eh? Also, with a few chopped walnuts or pecans & you got yerself a brownie substitution! I am amazed at how filling clafoutis are. I'm using pieces (plantain/coconut/garam masala) as a "biscuit" with my BAS lunch. Then I don't need dinner. Enjoy!

edit: OOPS! I forgot that I added a little sugar to mine. I would say 1-2 tablespoons. I used organic demarera. Sorry about the less than accurate measures - I actually split a batch of batter in half & made one half chocolate & the other thai curry shrimp. Plus with the spices & stuff I just eyeball it.
    Last edited by Peggy; 06-10-2010 at 03:10 PM.

PrimalPeg is offline Member
    Thanks Peggy, we're going to try it tonight!