Thread: Just starting out - have questions and need some help from the experts page

Elephant is offline Junior Member

Just starting out - have questions and need some help from the experts

Primal Fuel
    As a new participant in primal living, I have some questions. I have been living the life for three weeks now and have cut my carbohydrate intake from roughly 300g/day to an average of 130g/day. I have done this by eliminating processed sugars (with the exception of some dark chocolate and occaisional beer and wine) and all grains. I have upped my consumption of fruits and vegetables to compensate and have finally gotten to the point of ingesting 0.7g-1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Truth be told, I am probably overdoing it a bit on the protein side, but I am very active. I am doing the primal workouts and am boxing three days a week, so I think that I need the extra meat so I can replenish my muscles.

On to the results:
    Height: 6'4"
    Previous Weight: 225#
    Current Weight: 213#
    Energy Level: Good? Can't detect a change.
    Mental Health: More focussed, less anxiety.
    Body Image: Lean and mean.

All good, right? Well, maybe. I've been doing a lot of additional research and discovered that what I am probably experiencing is a lot of water loss instead of fat loss. In addition, some research indicates that many people on this "diet" see short term results only to spring back to where they were. I've read articles that suggest that the lack of carbohydrates is forcing my body to liqidate muscle mass making me weaker. I don't feel weaker, but this has only been three weeks. One side effect that I have felt is that I am going to the bathroom a lot more often. During my research I learned that over-ingestion of protein will cause the body to convert the excess into nitrogen (toxic in the bloodstream) and cause the liver/kidneys to work OT to get rid of it.

So, in a nutshell, has anyone else had simimlar experiences? Is this normal? It's amazing to me that we know about neutrinos and black holes, but there is so much conflicting science about what insulin does and whether or not it causes the creation of fat. Some papers I have read purort the exact opposite therories that Mark espoused in the PB. Certainly, I don't want to damage my kidneys or liver, but I've been happy with the results(?) I've seen so far. Any advice or thoughts for a new guy?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    You're just going to have to do a lot of reading. Good Calories, Bad Calories; the Eades' Protein Power Lifeplan; blogs like CoolingInflammation and PaNu.

Bottom line: it's not bad for your body to process protein. Other than that, I'll leave the info to the experts to explain. =)
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just a quick point on your body liquidating muscle due to a lack of carbs.. you need to replace those carbs with another source of fuel - fat. Give your body plenty of fat to use as fuel and you'll be using your body fat as extra fuel instead of protein from your muscles in no time. If you are concerned about eating too much protein - eggs, avacado's, oils and nuts are all good sources of fat that aren't too high in protein.