Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Combining

Food Combining

Shop Now
    I always have a little pooch belly unless I do food combining for several days at least. Problem is, I find it very difficult to stick with for any length of time. I would really like to add this to my current regimen as I feel like I have my food choices nailed down and can focus on some more specific tweaks. I am also layed up from training due to a broken toe and need to direct that energy to diet.

Many of the food combining resources come from different diet styles and don't encompass all the food groups I eat- like dairy.

Here are some charts that I think cover all my bases:

Is or has anyone done food combining on a primal diet? What improvements have you noticed? Digestion, body comp, skin, mood? What is a typical day of food like?

For the most part I think it is bogus. The only combining I do is if I'm eating a major carb I try to eat a fat with it so my blood sugar doesn't go quite so wonky.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    For the most part I think it is bogus. The only combining I do is if I'm eating a major carb I try to eat a fat with it so my blood sugar doesn't go quite so wonky.
    Would you eat that carb+fat with protein also or seperate? Do you have a flat tummy without food combining? Not snarking, I'm actually curious. I have never gotten rid of my pooch unless I'm fasting, starving or food combining.

I've learned not to combine some fruits with meat, there is some validity IMO. If I eat, for example, bananas and steak, my belly swells up for a day. So I never do that! It feels awful, too!
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

Heh, my default pattern is 1 meal/day so this would be difficult to implement!

Digestion is a little smoother when I pause between courses:
    salad/soup -> protein/starch -> fruit/fat
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

I think there is something to be had to food combining. Many of the old school brahs believe in it, so take that for what its worth. But my experience is similar to knifegill, in that fat, does not sit well when combined with quick carbs. I dont think it needs to be as complex as the chart above. There is also some thought that the fat/quick carb combo is a cause of plaque.

My stomach is flatter if I sprint twice a week.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My stomach is flatter if I sprint twice a week.
    Good one.

I think everyone is looking for magic and food combining is part of a long list of food magic that folks try to put out there. Pizza is one of the most loved foods in the U.S. It's got everything: wheat, fat, dairy, fruit (tomato), and often processed meat. I don't think that it would have become popular if it was making everyone sick. Same with cheese burgers.

I think folks sometimes try to make it more complicated than it is. Eat a bunch of animal, fill in with some plants. If you have some specific sensitivities, make adjustments for those. Avoid poisons.

And listen to sbhikes.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Food Combining

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Good one.

I think everyone is looking for magic and food combining is part of a long list of food magic that folks try to put out there. Pizza is one of the most loved foods in the U.S. It's got everything: wheat, fat, dairy, fruit (tomato), and often processed meat. I don't think that it would have become popular if it was making everyone sick. Same with cheese burgers.

I think folks sometimes try to make it more complicated than it is. Eat a bunch of animal, fill in with some plants. If you have some specific sensitivities, make adjustments for those. Avoid poisons.

And listen to sbhikes.
    I'm not looking for magic. I'm looking for tweaks to refine my physique and I find your tone a bit condescending. Particularly being that I have asked to hear from people that use it or notice a flatter tummy- the specific tweak I am aiming for. I also don't "eat a bunch of animal" and don't care to.

I am also not looking to cheat my way out of exercising- I am wildly active and very pleased with my recent strength gains. I am speaking about a very minor yet specific body shape issue, that's my context, so please don't downplay my legit curiosity on this topic.

Shop Now
    I'm just trying to say that I have never found any magic to flatten my belly other than sprinting. That seems to be the only thing that works for that particular problem for me.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.