namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Dairy + fiber acid fruit = no
    Dairy + acid juice = yes
    Dairy + sweet fruit = yes
    Meat + fruit = no
    eggs + fruit/dairy = yes
    What are the distinctions between these fiber acid & acid juice/fruits? Is that like dairy + oranges vs. dairy + OJ?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    What's the evidence base for food combining? It doesn't seem particularly believable unless you were eating massive amounts of food which could make the digestive process inefficient

Meat+fruit as a 'no' sounds a bit suspicious considering that stuff like pork and apple sauce, moussaka (meat and tomato) are examples of common meat + fruit combinations.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

damnposeurs is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Meat+fruit as a 'no' sounds a bit suspicious considering that stuff like pork and apple sauce, moussaka (meat and tomato) are examples of common meat + fruit combinations.
    Well I wouldn't say that by saying 'no' he's saying 'do not do it at all'. Just that this combination might be more prone to causing bloating when eaten. And of course that will vary person-to-person but if you have noticed you're more sensitive to some foods than others (probably a mild allergy) then maybe food combining is something to look into. So those dishes you mentioned might just sit heavier with some people in comparison to others.

I think for most the max. amount of food combining we concern ourselves with is combining two things together to minimize the insulin response. If you have 'an iron gut' then food combining past that point is all for naught.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    What's the evidence base for food combining? It doesn't seem particularly believable unless you were eating massive amounts of food which could make the digestive process inefficient
    I prefer to eat massive amounts of food, both for satiety and to save time. Instead of having to cook again and again, I cook all or most of the day's food at once and eat it all. Much food can mean much bloat, so I tend to avoid some combos since I do bloat easily. If I'm craving something that won't combine well, I'll just eat it later, within my usual six-hour eating window.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I prefer to eat massive amounts of food, both for satiety and to save time. Instead of having to cook again and again, I cook all or most of the day's food at once and eat it all. Much food can mean much bloat, so I tend to avoid some combos since I do bloat easily. If I'm craving something that won't combine well, I'll just eat it later, within my usual six-hour eating window.
    That makes sense, thats what I do something.

But is bloating inherently bad, aside from the discomfort and large belly?
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    That makes sense, thats what I do something.

But is bloating inherently bad, aside from the discomfort and large belly?
    For me personally, to reach my ultimate goal of performing complex handstand/ arm balance transitions I have to have a hollow belly almost all the time. That is so that i can activate my core (pressing the diaphragm into ribs and pulling everything else in really hard- thats where the power comes from for handstand work). I have to be able to eat enough quantity to get my nutrition but I can't afford any excess bloating. If you're eating good combinations you can digest your food without really seeing it in your body. It's a specific tweak for my goals, other people who spend most of their day upright probably don't need to worry about it.

I need to get my belly like this without getting all starvy.

Most of the super advanced yogis like her are vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians and I find myself moving more in that direction (with a primal paleo twist of course!) because it does make the whole lower belly shrink in (not talking about fat, I mean gut swell)

I've not gotten to a point in my training where I'm ready to fine tune in this way, but I see it coming in later phases.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123