Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does it take women so long to grow up? page 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    I'll just post further thoughts to get some discussion. Men and women mature in different ways.

Many women in their 20s and earlier are horrible gossipers, insecure, need a man to lead them and rescue them, like 'bad boys'. Once they are in their late 20s they grow out of this.

Men are obsessed with banging lots of girls, violence and drinking and posturing their masculinity. Again, they tend to grow out of it.
    Taking the stereotypical male and female...

Men have too few fears (aka a drive focused on *now*) and must learn to develop self-motivational longer term drives.
    Women are too fearful (aka a drive too sensitive) and must use their drive more frequently to desensitize it a little.

Get to the end of the finish line early? And it's a huge waiting and/or searching game.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 10-10-2013 at 04:49 AM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A lot of it is about developing self confidence; some women develop it faster than others. You eventually get to a fuck it stage and stop worrying what people think about you and boom, life gets better. A lot of women who are at the fuck it stage are out living their own lives and hard to find. Most women I know who are in their early 20's and not tedious twats are very career focused and/or have some level of passion towards a hobby/sport/activity.

My cousin is an amazing example of self assured young 20 something. She does what she wants (world traveler) and you simply won't meet her at a bar/online dating/Starbucks. She has plenty of self confidence to "go it alone".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Can you define "grow up" more specifically? When I see peoples' lips mouth these words, I always hear, "resign and subordinate your behavior and needs to that of the economic demands of the ruling class."

haha oh Wilton you've done it again
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Women in their late 20s or 30s are cool. Younger women are not. Discuss.
    Bad parenting. Same with men.

I see foresight as a precursor to maturity. A child feeds the pets because they are told too. An adult feeds their pets because they know it'll die if they neglect it. Whether or not they care is something else entirely.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Why does it take women so long to grow up?
    Does it? I can't say I'd noticed. I should have thought it took men somewhat longer if anything. But maybe you'd be a female poster and your view would be a female one, whereas mine would be a male one. One perhaps tends to be more forgiving to and admiring of the opposite sex.

In biological terms girls mature earlier than boys. I tend to think that also affects the relative speed with respect to age that they mature in social terms, too.

But everyone in modern society tends to be a little immature. It's the nature of the life. How would you expect people to be in highly developed and very wealthy societies that effectively screen people from the need to take on responsibility till, relatively speaking, pretty late in life? One could -- reasonably -- call university life a kind of extended schooling and at one level an extended childhood.

I reckon any of us at 25 would come off badly in comparison with someone of perhaps 15 in a primitive society. To be sure, one would know things, and have had experiences, that simply weren't available to people in that type of society, but on this score ...

Maybe one should call it a kind of social neotony. LOL

it's interesting also to reflect that in mediaeval England the age at which one was considered an adult -- qualified to sit on juries and so forth -- was twelve. Life was shorter then, and everything took place on an accelerated scale. Still and all, imagine giving any contemporary twelve-year-old you know much responsibility for anything at all. Would you? ...

Even in the fairly recent past I think people tended to mature (in social terms) more quickly than they do now. Charles Dickens' novel Little Dorrit is interesting in this respect;

Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens

Now "Little Dorrit" seems to have been based on a girl he knew in his rather unhappy childhood. It's a character based on life. Little Dorrit's preternaturally "mature" -- if by that we mean capable, prepared to take on responsibility, aware of what others are thinking and feeling. (Her "social intelligence" in the later parts of the novel is striking but also believable.) It's Little Dorrit's (terrible) situation that helps to make her so -- though it doesn't have the same effect on others. (Compare her rather worthless, dull and self-satisfied brother.)

Dickens was (and is) sometimes accused of sentimentality. Maybe that tells us something about his accusers. I'm rather impressed than otherwise by Daniel O'Connell's bursting into tears and throwing his copy of The Old Curiosity Shop out of a train window. Maybe he could understand what fellow Irishman Oscar Wilde couldn't.

I digress. I think we're too shielded to mature very fast. Perhaps that's just as well.
    Last edited by Lewis; 10-10-2013 at 10:46 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Jeez, Wilton. You have so many woman troubles and you proclaim them so publicly. Don't you think maybe the common denominator in all this is you?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Jeez, Wilton. You have so many woman troubles and you proclaim them so publicly. Don't you think maybe the common denominator in all this is you?
    oh, grow up, sbhikes!

lol the men are talking! Fold your hands and listen
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Woman grows up much faster than men and reaches their mental top at around 18, after that age they change very little psycologically in respect to their character! Men on the other hand mature a bit more slowly and reach their top at around 35-38 years of age, and after that they pretty much stay the same for the rest of their lives...

I like the term Social Neotony

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast