Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Why I Chose the Simple Life" page 2

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for sharing this article.

It reminds me of how much we take for granted.

When we lived in rural India, we burned our trash because there's no organized trash collection. That really made me aware of what we were consuming-- hardly any plastic bags, reused containers, used only towels, and just avoided buying too much stuff. Takeout was wrapped in banana leaves. Dried goods from the store was wrapped in newspaper. I handwashed clothes, so we owned just enough.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I am all for simplifying life. But, while reading these observations, all I could think of we call this kind of dude a bum or a hippie. For all his banter and such, he doesn't acknowledge that his most awesome BELL house had to cost something. He has a website, so someone is dishing out money for something, like the electricity, computer, Internet access, unless he is taking from others who have the dreaded "job".

He sounds like the guy who was all about protecting the harmless, sweet bears, then got eaten for his trouble.

More power to him and his Donna. I am glad that they enjoy their BELL and their time with mother Earth.

Does society as a whole (here in the US) have too much stuff, debt, and still feel the need for more, absolutely. Should we all chuck it for the Grizzly Adams lifestyle? That's a personal choice, and frankly, not mine.

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I am all for simplifying life. But, while reading these observations, all I could think of we call this kind of dude a bum or a hippie. For all his banter and such, he doesn't acknowledge that his most awesome BELL house had to cost something. He has a website, so someone is dishing out money for something, like the electricity, computer, Internet access, unless he is taking from others who have the dreaded "job".

He sounds like the guy who was all about protecting the harmless, sweet bears, then got eaten for his trouble.

More power to him and his Donna. I am glad that they enjoy their BELL and their time with mother Earth.

Does society as a whole (here in the US) have too much stuff, debt, and still feel the need for more, absolutely. Should we all chuck it for the Grizzly Adams lifestyle? That's a personal choice, and frankly, not mine.
    BINGO! Good for him, but no thanks. We run two businesses from our home, we keep our businesses lean and mean - mostly due to technology. We provide valuable services to others. We waste little. I have an elderly mother who lives with us and who we take care of. We have only our mortgage as debt - not much longer, we're paying cash for kids' college, give generously where we see fit, and don't need to live in a crate to do it. We also like to travel and experience things, and that cannot be done without some $ coming in. Sometimes there are struggles, but that's life. I like a good challenge every now and then, and I also like hard work. I just like it. It's how I grow and learn.

I do think he's right in that often people get on the treadmill of modern life. If you're really unhappy with your lot in life, you need to take control of it and chart a new course and live on your own terms. My terms are nothing like his, though.
    God bless him.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    we're like you, applegirl, but younger (young son -- whom we also homeschool), and are setting ourselves up financially to help our elders as we go.

i'm always looking to see where I can get "leaner and meaner" but I'm not giving up to the point of going without certain things. And it's ok to acquire them in a variety of ways -- so long as they are ethical (that's my POV anyway).

Superbeast is offline Member
    I prefer a nice balance - Hot water of course, some 'extravagances', but a nicely pared down lifestyle that allows for spontaneity, travel, and less hectic change/revamping when your heart leads you to do that. I'll get there eventually...

It would be amazing to have everything pared down/distilled to the point where I could throw a pack on my back and go forth into the world, but I still want to have a decent 'home base' to launch from.
    Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
    Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I agree with Superbeast a lot.

No debt. Old car w/no payments (which I guess is a subset of no debt). If I saw a piece of art I liked, I'd beg/borrow/steal to buy it, but I don't pay for TV. I have a low limit cc for using online and when I go out - no one can steal more than it's small limit from me if I lose it. I pay it off every month. No kids. No pets. No smartphone.

IOW, to me, no BS. If I had to evacuate tomorrow, I could fit everything I deem important into my very small car. I'd miss my double sided feather top mattress, but not enough to lose sleep over it. What I've learned in this life is that things are just things. Or as George Carlin said, "Your stuff is shit; my shit is stuff." I would probably waste some tears over photos of family gone, but in the end, I have those photos in my mind. Everything else is replaceable or unnecessary.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12