Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many cans of sardines to eat? page

fbones24 is offline Junior Member

How many cans of sardines to eat?

Primal Fuel
    So I have recently discovered the wonderful world of Sardines. I'm not sure why I was always scared of these, but I popped a tin of Trader Joes Sardines in water tonight and I was eating them right out of the can and loved them. Not sure what I was thinking before. No more Fish Oil for me.

I'm just wondering how much is too much for sardines. Is it safe to eat say half a tin everyday with my lunch. I was thinking half a tin of sardines, half an avocado, some greens and maybe a sweet potato? Yum!

How many sardines does everyone eat? Do they have too much of anything that I need to be concerned about?

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I try to eat sardines or mackerel every day. I think they are ok for mercury, as they are small fish. It's the big fish like tuna and swordfish that accumulate a lot of mercury. I'm not having any more kids, so I don't pay close attention to this stuff.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

fbones24 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    I try to eat sardines or mackerel every day. I think they are ok for mercury, as they are small fish. It's the big fish like tuna and swordfish that accumulate a lot of mercury. I'm not having any more kids, so I don't pay close attention to this stuff.
    So are you eating a can a day or less than that??

Also, my wife is pregnant right now. I'm wondering if we should be concerned with that.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I do 2-3/week but rotate with herring, Pacific saury, smoked trout or eel, etc.
    If the metal toxicity were a problem I assume we'd see more real world diagnoses so I don't sweat it myself. Prenatal deficiencies are much more common so I'd err on the side of "eat everything". A lot of nonindustrial cultures hunted down seafood specifically for pregnant women.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    How many do you have? Eat as many as you want. Go for BPA free cans if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Ha! I eat 2 cans for a meal!

I try to eat 2 tins a week. EVO is better than water in terms preventing oxidation of the fish oil.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about pregnancy - watch the tuna definiely but sardines & mackerel are much less of an issue.

As for you eat as much as you want. Ime if you have a bit of a food crush then I think if you just go with the infatuation for a bit it soon settles down. Your body is clever like that.

Mix it up with some mackerel for variety.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
    I try to eat 2 tins a week. EVO is better than water in terms preventing oxidation of the fish oil.
    Agree with that, go with the cans with olive oil, which you can dump if you want.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think your wife has much to be concerned about if she eats sardines. She'll want to stay away from the larger fishes, like tuna, because the longer they live and get big, the more heavy metals their bodies absorb, and farmed fishes have lots of contaminants as well.

Smaller fishes like anchovies, sardines, etc should be fine for both of you.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast