Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday dinner page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

Holiday dinner

Primal Fuel
    The holidays are coming!!!!
    I think the US starts first with Thanksgiving, we in Holland and Belgium have Sinterklaas, than we will have christmas, not to mention Halloween...

It's my first year Grok style, I need ideas for a good feast...

what are you cooking? recipes please?
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Canadian Thanksgiving is next Monday so they win! It's Columbus Day for us here in the US, no special eats for that, but a paid holiday if you have the right job (and are not currently furloughed).

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I just try to get invited to big holiday dinners rather than cooking myself, ha. For this weekend (the aforementioned Canadian Thanksgiving) a bunch of friends are getting together to do a potluck, which we do most years (for the 'orphans' who don't go home to see parents for the long weekend). This year's theme is appies and desserts... So the hosts aren't on the hook to cook a big bird and we all just snack and drink and be merry We are all somewhat healthy-minded eaters, so there are plenty of primal options like salsa and guac with veg and organic tortilla chips, meatballs, baked wings, fruit pieces with coconut cream-based dips, etc.
    I have done big ass holiday dinners before, and they're pretty much the same as when I was pre-primal...just no bread stuffing in the turkey or dinner rolls. I never was one for dishes like sweet potato casserole covered in marshmallows...it's so wrong. I came up with the ultimate primal turkey once, I called it turpigon (as in turkey-pig-bacon)... I stuffed a small ham up the hindside of the turkey, then covered the thing in bacon and roasted it. It was amazing, but so much bloody meat...
    Desserts, fairly simple. Pumpkin pie can be done like mousse in individual cups. Stew some apples in hard cider, eat as is. I can't say I've tried a pie crust or other pastry using GF flour blends...some things are just better left alone.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My husband and I are doing our first Thanksgiving as a married couple on our own. We'll just be making some turkey breast, since we don't really need a whole bird between the two of us. He wants to make potatoes au gratin & I think green beans. I'll roast some squash to go with it, just for myself. I'll probably make a primal pumpkin pie, though I need to experiment with the recipe as it wasn't thick enough for my liking last year.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    We are going to my parent's house for Canadian Thanksgiving tomorrow and we will be eating king crab. Almost everyone in the family hates turkey so we never cook one.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I am just perusing my recipes for just that. Biggish turkey, with homemade cranberry sauce, roasted potato (limited), sausages, bacon, carrots and turnip mix. For 3 with loads of leftovers will probably make a peach melba with homemade coconut rum raisin ice-cream for dessert. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. I will check out some stuffing recipes, maybe pork sage and onion. or my chestnut recipe that I haven't made for years.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Beachbrat is offline Junior Member
    I pretty much make the traditional meal. I will do mashed sweet potatoes as well as regular potatoes for the kids and those non primal family members. I skip the stuffing. I may or may not make rolls. The pies I do in individual serving dishes and skip the crust. The only thing I don't modify is the cheesecake. But the turkey and vegetables are all the same as usual.

pamola10 is offline Member
    Turkey and veg: that sounds primal to me. I will do mashed whites and baked but otherwise unadulterated sweets (you can bake them for 2-3 hours and they caramelize...who needs marshmallows?), plus a couple of other veggie dishes. My stepdaughter wants stuffing so I'll make a little and dessert will be a gluten-dairy-free apple crisp. I am sure I'll miss the pumpkin pie but I still have American thanksgiving next month....I did try a primal version last year with a walnut crust and using coconut milk in the filling, but it wasn't great and it was a lot of work, so I'm just going to skip it. It has been years since I thought we needed dinner rolls ever, so I don't even consider that. I do my own cranberry sauce so I have control over sweetener.

The wine is the tricky part: at my current size, stopping at one glass is critical! I also have to be careful about the snacky foods I tend to procure "for guests" but end up eating myself. I am thinking about nuts and dates, both of which can motivate me to binge and are better left at the market. But the guests do have to eat something! So that's my struggle with it, not the actual meal itself.

Later we can talk about Christmas cookies....my approach to that has been a work in progress for a number of years....

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Holiday dinner

I usually roast a chicken instead of a turkey because I can finish that in a few meals.

Then I make whipped sweet potato (coconut milk, cinnamon, butter), sautéed mushrooms with butter, basil and garlic, and some sort of dessert. Pumpkin cheesecake or pumpkin pie sounds good. This year I might make my own cranberry sauce with gelatin and cranberry purée.

one thing I have learned is that butternut squash makes a much much better pumpkin pie than pumpkin could ever make. Google butternut pumpkin pie. So much creamier!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Holiday dinner

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ps. There are some primal pie crusts on the internet with coconut flour and coconut oil. I loved it last year. It is pretty darn close to a regular crust, and I usually don't feel that way about primal baked goods.

I think if I make a pie I will skip the crust this year. I never liked crust anyway. Maybe a layered pumpkin mousse-coconut cream concoction?

Pumpkin flan with gelatin? Now that sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast