Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss Help -- I'm getting confused! page

sparklylikeaholiday is offline Junior Member

Question Fat Loss Help -- I'm getting confused!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys! I don't post much, but I do enjoy reading! :-)

I have been paleo for a month... and while I'm not expecting miracles and immediate results, I'm a little sad that I feel crummy and have not lost any body fat. (At least my scale says my body fat % is still the same - how accurate that is, not sure).

I am trying to settle into a pattern that works for me and I am having trouble figuring out what that is!!! I read so much about how low carb and high fat is the way to burn fat... (then I read the pro-carb threads and get all confused).

I came from a very high carb, high grain mostly vegan diet (rare meat, no dairy). So I knew that I would struggle with transition... I had a lot of fatigue and I upped my carbs a little by adding a little more fruit. That seemed to help a tiny bit.

But I'm getting so confused with all the high carb/low carb information. As well as the pro and against hard aerobic exercise... (I mostly power walk to my max -- 3 or so times/week). I've tried adding more resistance/weight training and slowing down on the walking...

But 4 weeks and I'm still bloated, puffy (maybe I need to watch my salt better? But I don't use any added salts), tired and not a smidge of fat has seemed to go away.

I am doing this for more than just the fat loss -- but to be honest, like many... the fat loss from dietary changes is very motivating to me.

I kinda don't know where to go from here... do I just keep trudging along exactly as I have been? (meaning, did I not give it enough time?) Or do I try to make some other minor changes? My macro's right now are about 60% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs (mostly from fruits and veggies).

I told myself I'd try it for 30 days and see how I felt... and now I'm 4 weeks in (almost 30 days) and I'm kinda sad.

Thanks so much for listening! :-)

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    The message is becoming confused on these forums. If you have a history of being a sugar and carb fiend I would suggest you get them out of your system and reeducate your metabolism so that it can burn fats. Have as much of your fat as coconut oil, ghee and beef fat as you can get. Cut out carbs as much as humanly possible and eat plenty of quality protein. Do plenty of moderate exercise and remember to replace the salts that your body will dump by putting plenty of sea salt on everything. Once you have broken the carb reliance of your cells they will become more adaptable and be able to switch between sugar and fats more readily. When you are confident that you don't crave sugar or carbs have a small amout and then see how you go reintroducing them either low level or periodically have a good plateful.
    Somebody else will probably tell you something completely different but you are trying to follow the PB so maybe just read the book again and don't come on here for advice
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

mauler5858 is offline Member
    Have you tried any Intermittent Fasting? It might be what you need to kick your metabolism in the right direction.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

sqidmark is offline Member
    Have you actually read the PB book? It's a good place to start. Make adjustments as needed from there. You may even find it beneficial to ignore the forums for a while. Come back when you plateau or things just aren't working for you. See, easy!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    6 weeks is a good period to stick to something to see how it impacts you. You have been modifing things on the fly from the souind of it, to make you feel better.

Can you describe where you started on paleo (typical foods, meals), how long you stayed with it and what you have changed and when? What negative experiences you have had and when?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf who champions the basic paleo diet always tells people to take measurements and photos and to not use the scale as a guide to their progress. As for not feeling better, perhaps you are eating something you are intolerant of.

By the way, why did you change from vegan to this? What was vegan not doing for you that you think primal will?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes
    By the way, why did you change from vegan to this? What was vegan not doing for you that you think primal will?
    I was vegan for a long time. I have an autoimmune disease and my rheumatologist suggested removing grains from my diet... that's what started me researching. In addition to that, I've always been obese as an adult, so clearly being vegan (who actually ate veggies, not just vegan junk food) wasn't working for me in that regard either. The base of my diet was pasta, bread and rice surrounded by veggies and fruit. I thought perhaps all the carbs and grains were the root of my problem and that switching to a higher fat, higher protein diet would help. I know that I didn't become like this overnight, so I don't expect to change overnight... but I thought I'd at least lose some of the water retension and a little bit of fat. :-) I am not going by pounds, since I know that fluxuates a lot and it doesn't account for muscle gain, which is why I was going by body fat percentage. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Leida
    Can you describe where you started on paleo (typical foods, meals), how long you stayed with it and what you have changed and when? What negative experiences you have had and when?
    My typical meals were (and still are with a few tweaks I commented on at the end)

Breakfast:

Eggs
    Bacon
    Apple
    Peanut Butter

Lunch:

Leftover meat and veggie from prior dinner or a salad with some meat and extra veggies

Dinner:

Usually a meat and veggie or a meat and salad. (By "a meat" I mean a palm sized piece of beef/chicken/etc)

I initially thought that I wasn't eating enough calories b/c I was very tired and fatigued right off the bat. Someone also suggested I up my carbs a little until I got used to being lower carb.

So I added in a 2nd fruit (usually an apple with peanut butter or some organic strawberries). That did help a little bit - I did that when I was about 2 weeks in.

On occasion, on the weekends, I'd take my son to sweet frog (frozen yogurt place) and I'd have some frozen yogurt as a treat... but that's been once/week... so maybe 3 or 4 times total since I've been doing this.

I take a 50 billion probiotic, my usual meds for my autoimmune condition, a multi vitamin, vitamin d (I'm low), magnesium and a b-complex (both of which my doc told me to take with the vitamin d).

Quote Originally Posted by mauler5858
    Have you tried any Intermittent Fasting? It might be what you need to kick your metabolism in the right direction.
    No, I have not, but I will try to do some reading on it! :-) I think my metabolism is basically like "what the heck did you just do to me???"

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you have autoimmune condition, you might want to check for anything that you have increased from your vegetarian period. Bacon (additives), eggs (simply quantity) and peanut butter (allergens if you have increased quantity). Other than that, in all likelihood you are reacting to the decrease in carbs in your diet + learning to eat meat again, and since you do not salt your foods - electrolyte balance (as was mentioned before). One thing I would recommend a lot is bone broth with sea salt, as it helps with general feeling of fatigue a lot. Also, you might consider a vegetarian meal with just veggies and fat of your choice once a day to let digestion adapt.

I hope you feel better!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklylikeaholiday View Post
    I am trying to settle into a pattern that works for me and I am having trouble figuring out what that is!!! I read so much about how low carb and high fat is the way to burn fat... (then I read the pro-carb threads and get all confused).

I came from a very high carb, high grain mostly vegan diet (rare meat, no dairy). So I knew that I would struggle with transition... I had a lot of fatigue and I upped my carbs a little by adding a little more fruit. That seemed to help a tiny bit.
    There is a lot of conflicting information about high carb vs. low carb, but the best advice anyone can give you is to experiment with both ends of the spectrum, including the middle ground. I've found that most do best with a moderate approach, not high/low carb. Same with fats and protein. You don't have to stay on extreme ends, there is certainly a middle ground. You just have to find where you fit.

As well as the pro and against hard aerobic exercise... (I mostly power walk to my max -- 3 or so times/week). I've tried adding more resistance/weight training and slowing down on the walking...
    The fear-mongering about aerobic exercise is unsubstantiated. You certainly shouldn't kill yourself with three hours of aerobic exercise, as nothing is good in excess. Power walking is great, and if you enjoy it, keep doing it. Same with weight training. There are benefits to both.

But 4 weeks and I'm still bloated, puffy (maybe I need to watch my salt better? But I don't use any added salts), tired and not a smidge of fat has seemed to go away.

I am doing this for more than just the fat loss -- but to be honest, like many... the fat loss from dietary changes is very motivating to me.

I kinda don't know where to go from here... do I just keep trudging along exactly as I have been? (meaning, did I not give it enough time?) Or do I try to make some other minor changes? My macro's right now are about 60% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs (mostly from fruits and veggies).

I told myself I'd try it for 30 days and see how I felt... and now I'm 4 weeks in (almost 30 days) and I'm kinda sad.

Thanks so much for listening! :-)
    I'll ask the question no one wants to hear: how many calories are you eating? If you're not in caloric deficit, you're not going to lose body fat. Calories are the main arbiter of weight gain/loss, not a macronutrient ratio or type of food. I would recommend counting calories for around a week to see what your baseline is, and make small changes from there.

It's not going to be easy, and you've just gotten started, so don't be discouraged. Just keep making small, sustainable changes and the results will come.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Thanks guys!

Jake... I have been tracking my food at sparkpeople.com for the entire time (which is how I know my macro ratios... otherwise, I'd have no clue lol). I was eating 1100-1300 calories before adding in the additional fruit with peanut butter. So after, I've been around 1200-1400. I have tried upping my calories a little more with eating more fats or proteins... but I found that makes me feel over full and bloated. And I don't want to go in starvation mode, so I definitely don't want to drop any lower. (I don't think I could anyway). I thought I was supposed to be eating around 1500 per day to lose weight for a 30-something female... so that's what I was striving for but falling short.

On the other hand... I have been guessing my meats to be about 5 ounces... (palm sized). I don't really know - so maybe I'm eating more calories than I think based on faulty measurements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast