Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isabel- Here I Go page

Me_Isabel is online now Member

Isabel- Here I Go

Primal Fuel
    I'm here starting a journal after reading other journals and seeing how helpful it is to have one. I started this lifestyle change 24 days ago. Why did I start this change? Well, I was tired of feeling tired and watching my weight creep up for no apparent reason. My story is long and I don't have the time or inclination to lay it out today. Maybe another day. I'll just put the highlights for now. I'm a numbers person, so I might post too many at times.

I don't have too much to lose, or I don't think I do. Here are my numbers:

9/15/2013
    Age = 35 (I'll be 35 early next month)
    Height = 5'4.5"
    SW = 160 lbs (highest weight ever was 163 during pregnancy)
    Waist = 33 1/2"
    Hips = 40"

9/22/2013
    W= 156.5
    Waist = 33"
    Hips = 40"

9/29/2013
    W = 154
    Waist = 33"
    Hips 39.5"

10/06/2013
    W 152
    Waist 32.5"
    Hips 39.5"

I think I'm losing most of my puffiness from the upper body. It looks so much slimmer. In 24 days I've had a total of 8 lbs loss. Wow, now that I've written it down that seems pretty insane! I just cut out all dairy except butter, all processed food, grains, and sugar. I still use honey and sometimes make paleo pancakes or cakes. Also have a handful of dark chocolate chips once in a while.

What has me perplexed is that I went out with my family to have dinner tonight. I tried to avoid the stuff I mentioned above. The only thing that was iffy was meat chili. Well, as soon as we left I noticed my whole left leg started to hurt. Also my wrists. By the time I got home I had to go lie down because my body felt so heavy. Yikes! What's wrong with me? I guess I have confirmed to myself that I'm gluten sensitive. I was hoping I wasn't... I hope I feel better tomorrow.
    Last edited by Me_Isabel; 10-09-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added age

laetitia787 is offline Member
    hi isabel!

yes sometimes sugar makes us feel very strange,
    Courage in your new life, it will only be the best for the future!

oh and you can write your story, it's always nice to know a little more but it's up to you!
    My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95995.html

SW : 64.7 kg --> (17/02/2014)
    CW : 62 kg
    GW : 48 kg

I woke up this morning feeling much better. It's a good thing because I need to get ready for work, get my kids up and running, make breakfast and either take the 2 year old to daycare or my 10 year old to school. Hubs and I always take turns since they go in opposite directions.

B- about 2 to 3 scrambled eggs with uncured sausage (too sweet), onions, garlic, red peppers and spinach. I don't know exactly how much since I made a whole pan for the whole family. Coffee with coconut milk and a little coconut oil. Might need a little honey..

Hopefully for lunch I'll have a nice salad.

Okay, gotta get going with the day!

Quote Originally Posted by laetitia787 View Post
    hi isabel!

yes sometimes sugar makes us feel very strange,
    Courage in your new life, it will only be the best for the future!

oh and you can write your story, it's always nice to know a little more but it's up to you!
    Laetitia, thanks for stopping by! Yes, I should write my story, but it's long and I need to pick and choose what I should write. Numbers seem so much easier to me.

It's 2 am here and I'm wide awake. I went to bed early but for some reason I woke up and can't get to sleep again. Who am I kidding, I think I know why I can't sleep. You see last night I went out to dinner with the family and we went to get wings. I ordered traditional wings and drank plain tea. They were delicious. But it got me to wondering, what did they fry the wings in? What is the sauce made of? It must have had gluten because I started to feel exhausted right after eating. I need to be more careful of what I eat. Now I'm up and can't go to sleep. Thank goodness today is the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Since I'm awake, I might as well write a little about myself. As if anyone is reading this, right? For the most part I want to stay anonymous. Just so you know, Isabel is my middle name. So hopefully that will help some.

I'm an almost 35 year old woman. Well, I'll be 35 earlier next month. On September 15, 2013, I decided to change my life. I don't know how I found paleo/primal. I think I was researching what was the best way to eat when you have PCOS. I started researching it maybe a few days to a week before. Then that day, a switch went off in my head and I decided to give it a try cold turkey. I mean, what did I have to lose? It's just 30 days of my life. I'm no stranger to a challenge.

So what brought me to that point? Oh many years of struggle with my health. I mean, I am not on any type of medication and I'm not overly overweight. When I started this I had recently reached 160 lbs and climbing fast at about 5 feet 4 inches tall. That's definitely in the overweight category. But what had me worried about my health was that my face and next were getting super puffy I could barely recognize myself in the mirror. My menstrual cycle had been absent for 2 months after having it regularly for the past 6 months, or as regular as it could be. Other PCOS symptoms also started cropping up. Ugh! It was just not good and I had to do something about it!

Let me take you even further back to when I was first told I had PCOS. After I had my daughter ten years ago I started to not have a period. I went to the doctor and they told me it was normal and I should thank the heavens I didn't have to deal with it. She says many women would love to be in my position. As lovely as it is not to have it, I felt it was unnatural. They gave me the pill and I took it for three months. I felt like a zombie throughout that time and it wasn't getting better, so I stopped. If I remember correctly, I just went on with my life and my every other month or two period.

Fast forward to when my daughter was about 4 years old. One day I started to not feel so good. I started spotting, but my period would start. This went on for about a week or so. It got to the point that I could barely walk and I was having terrible cramps. My husband finally put his foot down and tool me to the emergency room. While there I felt a wrenching pain in my abdomen. It turned out I had a late miscarriage. I was devastated. The doctors sent me to get an ultrasound of my womb a few weeks later. They told me I didn't have any cysts in the overlies, but they strongly felt I had PCOS. So they wanted me on a birth control pill again. So I tried it for a couple of months but I felt like a zombie. They told me again that it wasn't a side effect from the pill because there were no studies of women with that side effect. I felt like they thought I was lying, so I stopped taking it and didn't try going to the doctor again at that time.

When my daughter was about 7 years old I decided I wanted to try to have a second child. I just knew I had to be a mother of at least two kids.

Sorry to cut the other one short, but I could no longer see what I was writing on my iPad.

Anyway, to continue, I knew I had to be a mother of at least two kids. We decided to adopt but the system kept on dropping the ball. We got tired of it even though we went through all the classes they wanted us to take. What a waste of time. Doesn't mean we won't try adoption in the future. Anyway at that time we really wanted a second kid and it wasn't happening. So I went to my doctor, different than the others before, and told her I wanted to get pregnant. She said she believed I had PCOS and I needed to get on metformin or something and lose weight. I wasn't really overweight at the time, maybe 150-154? Don't remember, but my face and neck were kinda puffy. So I took it for about three months and I was feeling sick with the meds. She wanted to do something more invasive, more powerful drugs, and I didn't want to go that route. So I decided to stop even though I really wanted to have another baby. Maybe a year passed and I was getting depressed and would cry. My sister got pregnant with number two at the time and even though I was happy for her, I felt like such a failure. After she had her baby, I decided I would give it one last good try. Well, I keep say "I", but my husband was involved in all decisions. He just kept saying he didn't want me to get hurt and didn't want to dictate what to do with my body. So anyway, I went back to my doctor and she instantly put me back on metformin. She also told me to consider an ovulation helper, femura (sp?) or something. I decided to try it. The first cycle didn't work. I definitely did not ovulate. I had a feeling it wasn't going to work so I started researching alternative medicine. So I went in to see a fertility acupuncturist. Wow are they expensive! But we were desperate, my husband was skeptical, but went along with it. I started treatments 2 times a week, she wanted me on the program for at least 6 month to regulate my hormones. I decided to do acupuncture and continue using metformin and try another round of osculatory meds. I went in for another ultrasound to see if I was ovulating. They saw something like a cyst and told me I could be ovulating or maybe I was developing a cyst from meds. I had a feeling I was ovulating (not a physical feeling) so I started to get excited. We did what we needed to do to try to get pregnant that cycle and I continued acupuncture. Lo and behold, I got pregnant! I immediately started to freak out! I just couldn't go through another loss! My acupuncturist assured me that I was doing the best I could do. I kept going to acupuncture for the first trimester and then for the last trimester. It was just awesome. The greatest part is I had a very healthy baby!

My baby is 2 years old now and I love him so much. Anyway, everything was fine with me and I was below 150 lbs through the time I nursed him. I stopped nursing him a few weeks before he turned 2. That was about 2 or 3 months ago. That's when I started feeling like my old self. Not so good. My doctor told me after I had him that I needed to take care of my metabolic syndrome. I didn't question it then, but now thinking back, I guess my ovaries don't have any cysts. They looked smooth other than the ovulation egg when I think back to the ultrasound. Maybe that's why she started calling it metabolic syndrome. I'll ask when I get my annual this year. We moved to a different state this year, so I have to find a new doctor.

So in the last two months I've gained between 5 and 10 lbs even though I eat less because I'm not nursing anymore, and I try to eat as healthfully as possible. That's why I knew I had to make a drastic change. I hate cation, I don't want to develop diabetes, and I don't want to continue gaining weight. My highest ever was 163 lbs with pregnancy with both kids, eight years apart.

Continuing from other post above, I couldn't see what I was typing on my iPad again.

So here I am trying out this new lifestyle. I love how I feel! I knew that feeling tired all the time with my legs feeling like lead was not how other people felt. Now I definitely know this! In the 28 days I've been doing this I have lost the face and body bloat and my tummy is receding. I'm just so afraid to go back to how I was eating. I've never been a dieter. I hate diets. I just always ate healthy stuff and in moderation. I already ate plenty of whole foods, but I also ate plenty of grains and refined sugars. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm sleepy again and this seems a good place to stop for now. We shall see what the scale says this weekend. I feel great, so it really doesn't matter what the scale says. I just love numbers. I think I said that already... Okay time for bed.

Here are my stats for this week.

10/13/2013
    Age = 35 (next month)
    Current weight = 151 lbs

Didn't do body measurements this week. I like how I feel and I like what I see in the mirror.

As to the rest things going in my life, I love my family, I don't like my job, and I'm trying to pay off all debt we have incurred. These are the debts we have as a family and the percentage we have left to pay from original amount. They are listed from greatest to smallest.

Student loan = 34% left @ 4.99% interest started paying in 6/2008
    Hubs car = 28% left @ 3.65% interest started paying in 5/2009
    Flooring loan = 10% left @ 9.99% interest started paying 2/2013
    Carpet loan = 70% left @ 0% interest started paying 2/2013

The last two we acquired because it was the best thing we could do at the time. You see, when our 2 year old was born I decided to take a year off from work. We started saving most of my income once we found out I was pregnant. My employer gave me permission to take one year pay without officially promise of rehiring me. Unofficially they begged me to come back. Well, when the year was almost over, my company had big layoffs and I was officially unemployed when that happened. They laid me off. So I started to look for other work. Locally in Texas I had about 100 phone interviews and about 30 in person interviews with no job offer. On a lark I decided to apply to a job in Colorado with awesome benefits. Well, they eventually contacted me, had a phone interview and finally they flew me out for an in person interview. They extended a job offer I couldn't turn down. I wasn't enjoying living in Texas anyway, especially during August.

Once we decided to move, we had to either put our house up for sale or rent it out. With such short notice and being winter, we decided to rent it out. That meant we had to do house improvements. Since we were living off of one income, half of our normal income, we had no money for renovations . So we decided to get loans even though we desperately want to be debt free. Now that we live in Colorado, we know it was the best choice for our family.

So that leaves me with paying those loans off. We've hit them hard, especially the high interest one. Hopefully by next month it will be gone. And then we will hit at the carpet loan. Sigh, such a long way to go.
    The car is scheduled to be paid off by August 2014. Maybe we can get it paid off sooner I hope. As to the student loan, that is more long term, sigh.

For budgeting I use YNABat home and a spreadsheet at work because I can't access YNAB from there. Plus I'm a nerd and i love to crunch those numbers!

So today we decided to take the kids early in the morning. My 10 year old daughter is into playing basketball, so I told her to bring it along. She went off to shoot some basketball, and I thought, what the hell I'll go shoot some ball with her.

Well, we were having tons of fun doing drills and shooting. But sometime along the way I lost some cool points. We were practicing by me being defense and her playing offense. She somehow stepped on my shoe as I was moving around her, so I lost my balance. I tried to balance myself, but I knew I was going to fall. Hard. So I tried to brace myself and got my left elbow and right knee pretty banged up. I'm currently icing the knee. All I can say is I had lots of fun, but I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow for sure.

Good news is I got my sprinting exercise by playing basketball. And it felt good. I was surprised to not have felt heavy and worn out from the beginning. I'm really loving all this energy. Now to get my old 35 year old body to heal quickly.... Sigh.

PrimalCon New York
    So here I am day 30 since I started this lifestyle. I'm feeling pretty good!

Yesterday I fell on the basketball court while playing with my daughter. My knee and elbows hurt like hell! I thought i would definitely wake up today stiff and with a limp. Just what I needed, to limp into work..... surprisingly my body isnt stiff this morning. Imagine that! My elbows and knee are still sore, but nothing unmanageable.

I didnt get much sleep last night. My son had a fever that was worrying me. He still has it today, so hubs is staying with him this morning and I will work from home this afternoon. Hopefully I won't get fired since he has been getting sick a lot since we moved to Colorado. Oh well, not like i love my job or anything...

Breakfast- coffee and 2 hard boiled eggs so far.

I probably need to eat more but it was just one of those mornings, ya know?

Sent from my XT557 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast