Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is just not working page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

This is just not working

Shop Now
    I am so fed up with feeling like I'm failing. So, I thought I'd start a journal to figure out a better path. Perhaps that path is the one I strayed from months ago to feel more normal.

Over the last 9 months, I've left behind eating VLC to adopt a more varied diet to include fruit, some starch, dairy, and overall a less rigid way of eating while still eating a pretty decent primal diet. And I feel so much worse.

Fruit and carbs in general seem to be a gateway for just eating too much. I don't think my calories are way too high, but they clearly are high enough that I am gaining, slowly but surely. But if and when I restrict and eat less, I'm hungry, obsessive, and have terribly low blood sugar that seems to lead to overeating at the next opportunity.

And I'm hungry. I have an apple for a snack and two hours later I am elbow deep in the walnut bin.

I have tons of diabetes on both sides of my family, and am myself borderline pre-diabetic. I left behind the VLC eating because I was sick of it. My family eats loads of fruit and bananas and rice and ice cream and potatoes. And so do my friends who are thin. I want to eat those things too!!!

But as I have begun to eat them and tried to work out more, I've just gained. Some is muscle, but overall I do not feel lean or light. I feel bloated and heavy and fat.

Am I alone? Is it so odd to really only be able to loose and maintain weight on a VLC? A year ago, I was exercising some, but eating very low carb. And I felt good. And I was at a low weight. It seems to be the only thing that works for me.

SO why don't I just return to it? I am happy and energetic that way. And I feel successful and thin and confident and I am not obsessing over calories or tracking. I don't stress out when my kids are sick and I am not at the gym. I don't get low blood sugar and I don't feel so cranky. It makes things so easy!

I don't know what to do. Ughg. I'll chronicle it here.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm technically obligated to inform you that I think VLC is good for certain people. So, disclaimer out of the way:

Sounds like the obvious answer is to go back to VLC. Maybe some day you'll find that you can eat sugars and other carbohydrates without these issues. I hope so. But for now, it seems like VLC's the way to go. For you, as an individual.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Listen to the all knowing angel bat..he's giving you good advice. Why change what has worked for you? Maybe down the road you can relax a little and then shore things up when you feel the need.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I think that too, RichMahogany. I just can't seem to figure out my mental block against it. I get excited when I think about how good I feel after a couple of weeks VLC. Just need to pull the trigger, recommit. Your disclaimer made me feel glad and relieved. Yes, I have an unhealthy need for others' approval.

Actually, that is an interesting thought. I wonder if maybe my difficulty accepting I ought to return to VLC is b/c there really is no one in my life that buys into eating that way and I don't want to accept that I am maybe built differently. I want to fit in and be like everyone else!
    Hmm. I might be onto something. RichM, perhaps you should be my therapist.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    RichM, perhaps you should be my therapist.
    Lots of us went VLC until our metabolisms and our hunger signaling got back on the same page. You're like so many of us. You're not alone. You're not weird. Set the example for all the other people whose health is not what it should be.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Lots of us went VLC until our metabolisms and our hunger signaling got back on the same page. You're like so many of us. You're not alone. You're not weird. Set the example for all the other people whose health is not what it should be.
    Well said RichMahogany.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Wow, has someone hacked RM's account?

But seriously, done good advice Rich.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Wow, has someone hacked RM's account?

But seriously, done good advice Rich.
    He's a big ole softy irl.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Wisdom and compassion in a single post!

FireFinder, I get the frustration that some people get to be thin on pizza and beer and mashed potatoes. But ultimately, that's them and we're us. Try not to look at it in a way that focuses on what you can't eat, but what you can. All things that walk, crawl, fly, and swim. Not sure what VLC for you specifically is, but even the occasional potato can be eaten - just not two pounds in a day, or the same day you indulge in bananas or nuts. Except for the specific non-primal stuff, there is a whole planet of foods out there for you to eat.

And we have butter and bacon.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

I guess I am sort of understanding why people spend time on forums like this. There is support that day to day life doesn't offer. Thanks everyone.
    Today I get back to basics. Eggs and meat and veg. Coffee and butter! Feeling less stressed already. One day at a time....I'm going to lay off on the hard workouts for a bit. More mellow stuff- some body weight workouts, easy cardio. Hopefully that will help to temper sugar cravings as I get back to the "zone".
    What are ideal workouts for a VLC way of eating? I have read so much that you need carbs to work out and the VLC is god for sedentary people. I seem to have good energy VLC. Might have to so some experimenting once I'm re adapted......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast