Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is just not working page 2

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I am so fed up with feeling like I'm failing. So, I thought I'd start a journal to figure out a better path. Perhaps that path is the one I strayed from months ago to feel more normal.

Over the last 9 months, I've left behind eating VLC to adopt a more varied diet to include fruit, some starch, dairy, and overall a less rigid way of eating while still eating a pretty decent primal diet. And I feel so much worse.

Fruit and carbs in general seem to be a gateway for just eating too much. I don't think my calories are way too high, but they clearly are high enough that I am gaining, slowly but surely. But if and when I restrict and eat less, I'm hungry, obsessive, and have terribly low blood sugar that seems to lead to overeating at the next opportunity.

And I'm hungry. I have an apple for a snack and two hours later I am elbow deep in the walnut bin.

I have tons of diabetes on both sides of my family, and am myself borderline pre-diabetic. I left behind the VLC eating because I was sick of it. My family eats loads of fruit and bananas and rice and ice cream and potatoes. And so do my friends who are thin. I want to eat those things too!!!

But as I have begun to eat them and tried to work out more, I've just gained. Some is muscle, but overall I do not feel lean or light. I feel bloated and heavy and fat.

Am I alone? Is it so odd to really only be able to loose and maintain weight on a VLC? A year ago, I was exercising some, but eating very low carb. And I felt good. And I was at a low weight. It seems to be the only thing that works for me.

SO why don't I just return to it? I am happy and energetic that way. And I feel successful and thin and confident and I am not obsessing over calories or tracking. I don't stress out when my kids are sick and I am not at the gym. I don't get low blood sugar and I don't feel so cranky. It makes things so easy!

I don't know what to do. Ughg. I'll chronicle it here.
    Yep, exactly like my story, so am back to VLC / Steak and Egg now, feeling so much happier can have two or one meal a day and feel great even forget about food.

However, I want to be smart about it this time, ensuring I eat nutritionally, e.g. organs, and perhaps if you really want varier or fruit keep it to the way old LCers used to do it, i.e. keep it to a cup of berries with heavy cream as a treat now and again, not daily.

You know how you feel and works best for you, so you are the best to make a call.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Lots of us went VLC until our metabolisms and our hunger signaling got back on the same page. You're like so many of us. You're not alone. You're not weird. Set the example for all the other people whose health is not what it should be.
    +1 on this.

also, who are you and what have you done with RM?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    +1 on this.

also, who are you and what have you done with RM?
    He's being nice and polite in hopes of sparking another twerking thread.

And to the OP, yes, what the beard said is on point - I was VLC for about 6 months. It got stuff in line. Now I am far more liberal with my diet and it works. At first - nope I had to cut the carbs.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I guess I am sort of understanding why people spend time on forums like this. There is support that day to day life doesn't offer. Thanks everyone.
    Today I get back to basics. Eggs and meat and veg. Coffee and butter! Feeling less stressed already. One day at a time....I'm going to lay off on the hard workouts for a bit. More mellow stuff- some body weight workouts, easy cardio. Hopefully that will help to temper sugar cravings as I get back to the "zone".
    What are ideal workouts for a VLC way of eating? I have read so much that you need carbs to work out and the VLC is god for sedentary people. I seem to have good energy VLC. Might have to so some experimenting once I'm re adapted......
    Try here: Action Item #4: Exercise Primally Move, Lift, and Sprint! | Mark's Daily Apple

I guess there are some reasons to up carbs for exercise, but while a person still carries excess fat stores, they have the energy in that. They're just wearing the fat (or calories if you prefer) instead of eating them.

I figure there are only two good things about being overweight. One is that just walking is a weight bearing exercise, so your bones are stronger than the chronically thin. Second is that you almost never have to worry about starving to death. I've been there. You'll do great.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Today was a good day. I don't really expect a big "carb flu" b/c I haven't been eating a ton of carbs, but I know tomorrow and the next couple of days I will need to really make the effort to avoid sugar and starch. The craving is still there. It usually takes a week or so, and then I am over it.
    I talked to my dad today and he is pretty in over his head diabetic. He was telling me how there is diabetes on both sides of his family, both of his siblings are diabetic and he is in bad shape. I know I inherited the gene, and I wonder if part of the deal is a sugar/carb addiction. There are seriously times when I am eating some sweet fruit like grapes that I MUST have more. I've never been addicted to a drug or anything, but I'd guess it sort of feels that way. Is it possible to break this for good? I don't know. It's always been such a struggle. It's not that I totally binge all the time on cake and pizza, the problem for me is that I am eating for reasons other than nourishment and hunger.
    I want to eat for the reasons one should eat, and I am beginning to think that this is much more possible for me if I limit carbs. Like, maybe it's not all my fault? Maybe I'm not just weak or have horrible will power. Maybe there is a gene or something I've inherited that makes it hard for me to eat a "balanced" diet. Who knows. For now, I'm cutting out the carbs.
    Today was eggs, meat, olive oil, a little cheese, lots of leafy greens.... i feel tired, but not bloated and no indigestion. I know tomorrow I'll wake up feeling like my system has processed everything I ate today.
    One day at a time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    You know how you feel and works best for you, so you are the best to make a call.
    So true! So why have I spend so much time reading/listening to what other do and trying to make it work for me when really I know the answer??

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Haha, you could be writing this straight out of my mind FireFinder! You'd think I'd be old enough and stroppy enough to follow my own path, but I keep comparing myself to others and deciding to do what they do . . . and that's just dumb!! I am working out my own way now, finally. I've loved reading the comments from your supporters, too. Hang in there

Oh - and maybe start a new journal so you're not reading a negative title every time you come in to report how awesomely you're doing
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

oops double post
    Last edited by FireFinder; 10-09-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: double post

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You sound like me, too. If I eat less fat, and replace those calories with fruit, I stay hungry compared to when I stay strict-er VLC. If I count calories and don't go over, yes, I won't gain weight. I'll also gnaw my fingers off when my blood sugar crashes. You don't have to sacrifice nutrition, either. Every few meals, have some berries, liver, oysters, greens, etc. Bacon is a great source of thiamine, for the record.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You sound like me, too. If I eat less fat, and replace those calories with fruit, I stay hungry compared to when I stay strict-er VLC. If I count calories and don't go over, yes, I won't gain weight. I'll also gnaw my fingers off when my blood sugar crashes. You don't have to sacrifice nutrition, either. Every few meals, have some berries, liver, oysters, greens, etc. Bacon is a great source of thiamine, for the record.
    Yes, totally. The replacing some fat with carbs is exactly what I'd been trying to do.

Days I stayed at my targeted calorie intake I was starving and watching the clock. I am terrible at being hungry. I don't mind a rumble in the tummy, but can't handle low blood sugar. The last few months I think I had a lot more days of eating to satiety which, because of the carb increase meant more calories. Good advice on the nutrition- I def need to work on liver. Really not my thing . But bacon yes, I can handle that. I love a little heavy cream too, just have to be careful about more than a tbs or two a day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast