Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Eating and Hair Regrowth page

Question Primal Eating and Hair Regrowth

Primal Fuel
    Hello Everyone! I'm a 26 year old female and I feel that my hair has been thinning. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been overweight since childhood, especially in my midsection. I am in the very beginning stages of converting to primal and I was wondering if anyone has experienced hair re-growth or thickening as a result of a primal lifestyle? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I see a lot of people panicking about loosing hair on a very low carb diet. However I found that since going primal my hair grows faster and is even less behaving... (to be honest I have sex-hair now all the time and can't get it to behave!!!) I'm not complaining or anything....
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i can't say anything about thyroid, but following primal my hair stopped falling out and started regrowing
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I was writing about this somewhere here a few days ago - sorry for the repetition.

Short answer - yes. Slightly better coverage I think, and definitely much thicker individual strands, so overall more volume and less horror when I catch a glimpse of the crown of my head in a mirror! I started Primal 10 years later than you, so presumably some follicles had just died and stayed dead, but the ones with some life in them still staged a recovery. It should be better for you - less/ no loss of follicles.

I changed from vegetarian of 20 years to Primal, so I can only guess as to which change caused which improvements. I would guess that better protein = thicker hair, and eating less crap = cure for seborrhoeic dermatitis. (Also can't say anything about thyroid, sorry.)

Note - a change of diet, and weight loss, can cause telogen effluvium. All your hair follicles are always cycling through phases of growing, resting and falling out. Typically they all do this at different times. Telogen effluvium is what happens when a lot of them decide to enter 'falling out' phase at once. Presently they get over the shock, sort themselves out again and everything's fine. So... if you find your hair falling out in quantities within the next month or two, don't worry!

Thanks everyone. Female pattern baldness runs on my dad's side of the family so it's scary, as a 26 year old, to think about losing my hair this early in life. I hope primal living will help my hair! Has anyone heard of reversing thyroid disease through primal?

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nataliehoblitzell View Post
    Thanks everyone. Female pattern baldness runs on my dad's side of the family so it's scary, as a 26 year old, to think about losing my hair this early in life. I hope primal living will help my hair! Has anyone heard of reversing thyroid disease through primal?
    If you do the 100% primal you might aid your thyroid massively. I don't know about completely reversing it but in theory doing Primal could be really helpful for your thyroid.
    With taking away the massive amount of insulin in your body the hormonal balance because proper again, your thyroid will be happy with this change...but give it time... it won't change overnight...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Kimberly P is offline Member
    I also take meds for hypothyroid and used to lose brushes full of hair every day. I have been primal since August 1 and I have noticed MUCH less hair shedding. Went from a brush full down to one or two strands each day. Its wonderful! My hair also feels much thicker. I also found I dont use as much lotion as my dry skin feels so much smoother and softer. I do feel my weight loss is a bit slower than most and I think that is partially due to the low thyroid. I have lost 16 lbs and and feeling better and better every day so I know it will come in time. I have many, many years of bad eating and health under my "belt" to correct.

I will let you know about how or if primal living gets my thyroid better as I have my yearly physical (yuck) coming up in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

That is definitely good news. Thanks again. Perhaps there is hope for my hair, after all.

It's now more than ever that I am realizing how addicted I am to simple carbohydrates, all forms of wheat, and sugar. Yikes!

Good luck with your physical!!

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if it's a direct correlation, but my hair has been growing much faster since the switch to Primal. I notice this because I need to color my roots every 4 weeks now, I used to be able to go for about 3 months between colorings.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

shiliantian is offline Junior Member
    agree,if you find your hair falling out in quantities within the next month or two, don't worry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast