Thread: Cheap Chicken bonebroth page

kitoi is offline Senior Member

Cheap Chicken bonebroth

Primal Fuel
    $4 makes 1gal bonebroth

24hrs and gelafied I'll be making Sotanghon (Filipino Chicken Sabaw)

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Nice! I have not used chicken heads, but I made some with chicken feet once and it was THE BEST chicken broth I have ever made.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I am getting up the nerve to buy some feet. I always roast my bones..do you two suggest roasting the feet?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Good work!

... as always.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I am getting up the nerve to buy some feet. I always roast my bones..do you two suggest roasting the feet?

Now that you mention it, I don't think I roasted the feet, but I always roast other bones, and had a good amount of roasted bones in with the feet.

Kimberly P is offline Member
    My husband already thinks I am nuts for giving up "healthy whole grains". He would probably lock me up in the looney bin if he saw that cooking in a pot on the stove!! HAHAHAHAHA Think I might try it. LOL

I have never made bone broth and have no idea how to do it. Is there a basic starter guide somewhere on here? I can't seem to find anything. Also...what do you use it for? Is it just to drink or do you make soup with it?

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly P View Post
    My husband already thinks I am nuts for giving up "healthy whole grains". He would probably lock me up in the looney bin if he saw that cooking in a pot on the stove!! HAHAHAHAHA Think I might try it. LOL

I have never made bone broth and have no idea how to do it. Is there a basic starter guide somewhere on here? I can't seem to find anything. Also...what do you use it for? Is it just to drink or do you make soup with it?
    My wife is the same way. While this was simmering I told her not to open the pot, she'd freak if she did.

Use it for stews, soups, braising, gravy. Anywhere where you need liquid in a recipe. Since I don't drink tea or coffee I drink this, just pour into a mug or thermos if I'm on the go.

Basic recipe: some sort of bones, water to cover, 1tbsp cider vinegar, 1tbsp salt. Bring to a boil then simmer for 24hrs. If you want to add veggies for flavor add at the beginning, for texture add in the last hour

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Okay..I bought the feet. I stuck them at the bottom of the slow cooker so when I peek at the simmering broth, I don't see them. I hope they don't swim to the top. Yeesh.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Alas, chicken feet are wicked expensive here. I have no idea why. I saw a piddly little container with maybe 6 feet for $6. I don't know why they cost so much, we have plenty of chickens here.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold