Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhausted need help. page

monkeypicked is offline Junior Member

Exhausted need help.

Im nervous about posting this because so often I see the responses to questions that are an almost flippant eat less carbs. Or quit doing that. Im looking for more help than that.

I teach Bikram yoga and I do Bikram yoga. Bikram yoga is a 90 minute yoga class in a 105 degree room. I understand that this might not be a paleo exercise of choice, but this is my play and my passion, so that isnt going to change. Im fit, Im not looking to loose weight. Ive felt good eating paleo for the last 6 months. But I seem to have hit a heavy wall. Ive been tired for most of the last year, but I just blamed that on my normal work schedule. The last couple of weeks Ive been flat out exhausted, struggling through doing yoga as well as teaching. For a while I thought it was an electrolyte imbalance (you sweat a lot teaching and taking Bikram yoga.), but now Im thinking Im not getting enough carbs.
    My typical day means that I take class and teach two classes. So Im in a 105 degree room for 4.5 hours a day.
    A standard eating day:
    Breakfast -- Smoothie whey protein, yoghurt, strawberries, half an apple, coconut water
    Lunch -- Tuna salad, green salad, pickle
    Dinner Bunch of kale, big piece of meat, salad
    Other than that Im drinking some coconut water to help replace electrolytes, as well as a ton of water and more electrolyte replacement powder.

My question is besides adding more carbs what would you suggest?
    Thank you very much for your help.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I don't see nearly enough fat in that diet. Your intake should be 70-80% fat, 20-25% protein, and trace carbs. That morning smoothie is kicking your pancreas in the ass (pardon the mixed metaphor). WAY too many carbs there. Where's the fats?

Start eating eggs in the morning instead of that smoothie. Have some bacon, for pete's sake. Have a spoonful of coconut oil if you're hungry and flagging.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    I second Griff. I eat 70-80 percent fat, with pretty much all the rest being made up of protein. Bacon is your friend!
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Good point about the fat.
    Can't eat eggs before taking yoga, they don't sit in my stomach well enough. After class it's fine. Timing has been a struggle, have to eat at least an hour before class -- and that has to be something that sits well. I love eggs, but it has to be after class / work.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    How about a hunk of meat with lots of butter, with some veggies or something on the side? Lot's of fat/protein, no carbs (well, unless you take the salad with it), and it's not eggs!
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I'm still quite new to this but a couple of things I see as a concern is the length of time you're spending at high temperatures - could you consider dropping one or two classes?

and the other is sodium. I just saw a program about deaths on the Kokoda Trail caused by people having too much water, so their sodium levels deplete. So if you're drinking a large volume of water, that might be something to think about. Though the symptoms for dehydration and sodium depletion are simliar!

Doing this for an extended time is going to be hard on your kidneys.

And it's very physical, personally I think you could safely up the carbs a little. Maybe some sweet potato?

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    #1 - I wouldn't want steak and eggs either before sweating it out in a 105 degree room either. So maybe some fruit in am is OK but yoghurt, plus berries, plus apple, plus coconut water does seem like a lot of sugar. Another option is 'lean gains' model skip breakfast and eat more later.

#2 - How many calories is that? Seriously. Tuna & green salad is very low cal, then dinner you have meat (good) and two kinds of greens. Why 2 salads in one day? Maybe you just aren't eating enough calories. How about a yam with dinner? It will help with potassium also.

ginabmonkey is offline Junior Member
    Like Helen in Oz, my thoughts went to low sodium levels with all the sweating you must surely be doing through those workouts. But, I also agree that the calories may be too low to sustain that level of activity and keep your energy.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    You're drinking coconut water which has a significant donation of potassium, but you may want to read more about optimal sodium and potassium levels...see my sig line for a link

The other possibility that jumps out at me: vitamin D. Do you take any? Do you know your levels? See my signature for information on that as well.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great points.
    I eat a reasonable level of salt, more than average. I take 4000 iu ok Vit D, I also take Magnesium, calcium and Potassium, supplements.
    More fat more protein is the over arching recommendations I think I need to take to heart. Upping calories overall as well.. which seems like a struggle, but I'll try it, and continue getting most carbs from veggies and some fruit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast