Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhausted need help. page 2

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A note on your smoothie.....I had a smoothie that I loved; kefir, banana, berries, carrots and greens. It was just too carby, so I trimmed it back quite a bit and added more fat. Now it is kale, spinach, 1/4 c blueberries (down from 3/4 c) kefir and coconut milk, sometimes and egg yolk.

I think if you play around with your smoothie you can make it less carby.

Another option is to eat your egg breakfast earlier. I have to eat an 1 1/2 hours before working out.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeypicked View Post
    Upping calories overall as well.. which seems like a struggle, but I'll try it, and continue getting most carbs from veggies and some fruit.
    consider tracking in dailyburn or nutritiondata. I found that some days, I was only getting 570-900 cals O_o

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    use a can of coconut milk in your smoothie to increase fats.
    Eggs also upset my stomach alil in the morning, but not pickled or hardboiled eggs. have you tried these?

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Additional thought on the calories. Your body will use food for fuel. If you have carbs it will run on glucose; if you are fat adapted then can run on fat. This means:
    Protein and carbs, body runs on carbs and uses protein to build.
    Protein and fat, body runs on fat and uses protein to build.
    You are having carby breakfast, and cannot be fat adapted since you aren't really eating any (unless adding a ton of fats that you didn't list to your salad and greens). Then you have 2 lower carb protein only meals with little fat. So your body may be using protein as fuel (inefficient) instead of building. So point is yes increase calories but if you need more fat with your protein and/or some carbs also.

I'm not an expert in this matter so others can chime in here, but know from personal experience that protein only (no carb and low fat) is NOT the way to do it; I'd be exhausted too.

Use daily burn to check your ratios. I see a couple of camps here on this forum. Some very low carb people are emphatic but I don't think this is the only way. You can have 65-75+% calories from fat, adequate protein, minimal carbs; or 50-65% fat, adequate protein and more carbs (in form of fruits and tubers). Personally I feel better on the latter. This is an individual thing and you have to experiment.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Pronounced, sustained fatigue is a classic symptom of hypothyroidism. What you're experiencing may have nothing to do with your diet at all and not be something you can fix by playing around with it.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I would agree with the calories and fat. The great thing about fat of course, it doesn't take much to make a significant jump in your calories. Is your yogurt full fat in the AM? Could you add a raw egg or cream or something like that to it without throwing off your stomach in the am?

With your lunch, add a hard boiled egg or two, full fat mayo, avocado, something along those lines in there to increase the calories.

Or if because of work you need to eat lighter all day, lean more towards the warrior diet where you try and increase your meal sizes at night. Increased meat proportions, extra bit of fat here and there, etc.

I personally stopped snacking when I went paleo to try and stick to the 2-3 meals a day, but I was not upping my calories initially at my mealtimes. I started dragging quickly. I tracked my food, and when I saw my calories dip down below a certain level, I saw a significant decrease in energy. I am not 100% in shape (could stand to lose about 5-7lbs of body fat), and not burning near the number of calories you are in a day.....so I could only imagine what stress your body goes through in 4.5 hours at high temps and exercise a day. Its taken some practice, but I am learning to serve more volume at meals to make enough calories in the day without snacking.

Good luck!

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I am going to go against the grain here in that diet isn't always the cause and cure for everything. It strikes me as very odd to spend 4.5 hours everyday in such extreme temperatures. Extreme heat tends to slow people down - makes them less active so I can imagine what chronic exposure to that level of heat would bring about. I know you said you aren't going to give it up, but perhaps your choice of activities is the cause of your exhaustion. Maybe cut back or cut it out for a period and see what difference that makes.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    While you don't want to hear it - it's both your play and your work, as you said, Mark is right. Working in elevated heat is a cause of kidney problems for steel workers. And just because some is good doesn't mean more is better.

Maybe you could find a way to do a few classes in another style of yoga without the heat, to give your body a break.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    With that kind of activity level, as long as you are slender, you can get away with some paleo-friendly carbs after your workouts to replenish yourself. (fruits, starchy veggies) - even soaked brown rice (search the recipe on Whole Health Source blog) or white rice in moderation. I think you would feel better that way. But I also agree -more fat!!!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if you have adrenal fatigue? Being exhausted all the time is a big indicator. You can do an iris contraction test at home:
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=117152

You might also want to consider a 24-hour saliva adrenal stress index. It's not something you want to mess around with- if your adrenals are fatigued, you will have to cut back on your Bikram (unless you want to really make yourself sick. Adrenal fatigue can take a long time to recover from and takes effort).

Also, try adding unrefined salt to your fluids. You might be too low in sodium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12