Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting made me bigger

Hybrid View

Heavy Lifting made me bigger

I am female- starting lifting heav(ier) a few months ago and cut back on the cardio and I've noticed that I'm bigger. Meaning, my arms, chest, legs and back have larger muscles (tshirts and jeans are more snug). I don't think it's fat b/c I have decent definition. But I don't want to be bigger! I want to be leaner, and smaller.

So what do I do? Get on the stair machine and treadmill for hard intervals? Increase reps/decrease weight? Any other ladies see this happening?

This is a concern of mine also. Not that I've gotten bigger but I want to prevent it. What does your workout entail? And how often do you do it?

I have been lifting 2-3 times a week. 8-10 reps, usually 2-3 sets of 3 diff movements per muscle group. I often will do a circuit type routine so I keep moving. I think I just have the propensity to build muscle easily..... I like to be strong, but I want to be smaller....

Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I have been lifting 2-3 times a week. 8-10 reps, usually 2-3 sets of 3 diff movements per muscle group.
    Heavier weights, fewer reps, fewer exercises of the same muscle groups. If you want volume in your muscles, do volume workouts. If not...

Sent via F-22 Raptor

I have been lifting 2-3 times a week. 8-10 reps, usually 2-3 sets of 3 diff movements per muscle group. I often will do a circuit type routine so I keep moving. I think I just have the propensity to build muscle easily..... I like to be strong, but I want to be smaller....
    You are performing too many reps. And if you are doing a circuit you are not taking enough rest and therefore can not be "lifting heavy" enough. Your rep range is closer to that for hypertrophy. You want to be in the 4-6 rep range, for the true definition of lifting heavy, to increase strength and not size.

I did strong lifts a few years ago and only got stronger and leaner, no increase in size. I am female. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Andria View Post
    You are performing too many reps. And if you are doing a circuit you are not taking enough rest and therefore can not be "lifting heavy" enough. Your rep range is closer to that for hypertrophy. You want to be in the 4-6 rep range, for the true definition of lifting heavy, to increase strength and not size.

I did strong lifts a few years ago and only got stronger and leaner, no increase in size. I am female. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
    The rep range idea is just a myth !

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

Quote Originally Posted by Andria View Post

Thanks- will check these out. I've been going about this all wrong. I've been aiming for higher reps (10-12) and eating more carbs. And here I am, stronger yes, but bigger. I don't think I've put on too much fat, but I think the higher carbs just mean more food in general for me- it's harder to control my intake when I eat more carbs- so I've gained size. I want to be leaner so I need to do some big time reassessing about my eating habits and workouts.

Thanks- will check these out. I've been going about this all wrong. I've been aiming for higher reps (10-12) and eating more carbs. And here I am, stronger yes, but bigger. I don't think I've put on too much fat, but I think the higher carbs just mean more food in general for me- it's harder to control my intake when I eat more carbs- so I've gained size. I want to be leaner so I need to do some big time reassessing about my eating habits and workouts.
    10-12 reps is a good range, to maximize hypertrophy ( muscle growth ) the set needs to last between approximately 50-90 seconds. As size cannot be gained without a corresponding increase in strength then this is optimal whatever your goal.
    50-90 seconds is quite a long time compared with how long most people spend on a set so to reach this time you need to either do more reps, as you do , or do slower reps......I've found 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down to work great.

You sound like you are doing great anyway so I'm sure once you have fine tuned the diet side you will look awesome.....keep us updated !

See this is why people need to buy body fat calipers and learn to use them. Seriously they are less than 20$ and you can do a 3 site skinfold test on yourself that is going to be about as accurate as it gets. Then when you ask..... am I getting bigger? You can weigh yourself, take a skin fold measurement and KNOW rather than guessing what you are gaining.

BTW its all about how much you are eating. Lifting simply makes sure that when you are in a caloric deficit you will retain/add lean mass and sacrifice the fat....but you will still get smaller. If you are eating more than you need and lift then YES.... you will gain mass.... mostly muscle. You WILL NOT however gain mass if you keep calories low while lifting so please do not fear such a thing.

That's exactly what I've been doing. But I also do 15-20 minute cardio session before I go into weights. Lately it's been on the stair climber with 6-10 30-second sprinting sessions.