Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting made me bigger page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Heavy Lifting made me bigger

Primal Fuel
    I am female- starting lifting heav(ier) a few months ago and cut back on the cardio and I've noticed that I'm bigger. Meaning, my arms, chest, legs and back have larger muscles (tshirts and jeans are more snug). I don't think it's fat b/c I have decent definition. But I don't want to be bigger! I want to be leaner, and smaller.

So what do I do? Get on the stair machine and treadmill for hard intervals? Increase reps/decrease weight? Any other ladies see this happening?

jodi29 is offline Member
    This is a concern of mine also. Not that I've gotten bigger but I want to prevent it. What does your workout entail? And how often do you do it?

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    I have been lifting 2-3 times a week. 8-10 reps, usually 2-3 sets of 3 diff movements per muscle group. I often will do a circuit type routine so I keep moving. I think I just have the propensity to build muscle easily..... I like to be strong, but I want to be smaller....

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    See this is why people need to buy body fat calipers and learn to use them. Seriously they are less than 20$ and you can do a 3 site skinfold test on yourself that is going to be about as accurate as it gets. Then when you ask..... am I getting bigger? You can weigh yourself, take a skin fold measurement and KNOW rather than guessing what you are gaining.

BTW its all about how much you are eating. Lifting simply makes sure that when you are in a caloric deficit you will retain/add lean mass and sacrifice the fat....but you will still get smaller. If you are eating more than you need and lift then YES.... you will gain mass.... mostly muscle. You WILL NOT however gain mass if you keep calories low while lifting so please do not fear such a thing.

jodi29 is offline Member
    That's exactly what I've been doing. But I also do 15-20 minute cardio session before I go into weights. Lately it's been on the stair climber with 6-10 30-second sprinting sessions.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Heavy lifting can produce a temporary stress response that make you hold water, but woman should generally not worry about getting too muscular because it just won't happen...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Heavy lifting can produce a temporary stress response that make you hold water, but woman should generally not worry about getting too muscular because it just won't happen...
    This is true. Also, you're doing a bodybuilder's split, then complaining about your body building itself.

evertastica is offline Member
    This happens to me too. Its unlikely you put on more 1/2lb of muscle each month of lifting. But thats still mass, and sometimes our bodies don't let go of the fat on top easily.
    Also, there's water in those muscles. If you were to get dehydrated you probably would feel/look smaller and more defined...

Anyways, you can do what bodybuilders do and go on a "cut" which means lowering your calorie intake a bit but continuing a lifting routine. The goal being that you maintain the muscle mass you built but shedding some of the "extra" on top. Chances are you'll loose some of the muscle too...

HIIT sprints every 3-4 days may help too!

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    This is true. Also, you're doing a bodybuilder's split, then complaining about your body building itself.
    I was just going to say that.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Wow I wish I could get big so fast !!!!

I really don't think muscle is an issue on men or women providing you think about it like a sculptor would as he creates his art. This is why I'm not sold on the ' You must do squats, bench press and deadlifts' mentality.

For example adding a little side delt size will make the waist look much smaller. Build a nice thigh sweep, rounded glutes, tight oblique's, nicely shaped calves. Decide the shape you want and then custom your routine with that goal in mind.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast