Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting made me bigger page 5

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    This thread confuses me... I would so much rather be strong than small. Plus my body type is never gonna be small no matter what I do. If you're like me and you gain muscle mass easily from lifting, then I would suggest leaning into it because being strong as shit will make you not care about your size, believe me. (And if you're truly lifting heavy and fueling properly, you will get lean, and your muscles will be even more eye-popping.)
    I didn't realise anyone was debating being strong or small ?

If you increase your muscle mass than strength has to increase also. The debate was just regarding what is the safest, optimal way to bring about this increase.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Huh, I thought the thread title "Heavy Lifting made me Bigger" and the OP lamenting her newly-gained muscles making her appear larger meant that the thread was about wanting to be small rather than large. And my POV is, I'd rather be strong, and if strong means bigger, bring it on. The only females I know who are able to get stronger while still looking small are girls who are natural ectomorphs/hard-gainers, and their strength stalls out at a certain point anyway. Whereas, it sounds based on her descriptions that the OP is a mesomorph, and I was only trying to point out that trying to remain small while gaining strength, as a mesomorph, just isn't going to happen. Your muscles are going to get visibly bigger because that is your body type. So, trying to remain small, as a mesomorph, means that you will also remain pretty weak. At some point you have to choose between strength and size.

And like, I'm not a behemoth, or anything--I have visible muscles and am strong for my size, but also have a conventionally sought-after shape. I'm no ballerina, but I have what would be termed "a good body". So gaining some visible muscle and getting a little bigger is really not the end of the world. You will still look bangin', as long as you're keeping the BF% semi-low.

If I'm off-base, apologies, but I just wanted to offer an alternate POV, because I existed way too long in that "chase the ballerina body" mindset and it just made me miserable and was impossible anyway. I look way better now that I've figured out I should lean into strength training and celebrate my muscular body type.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I have what would be termed "a good body"
    photographs please...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I posted in the vanity pics thread a couple weeks ago, have at it.

I posted in the vanity pics thread a couple weeks ago, have at it.
    And I appreciated those pics then. I was just trying to get more out of you. Yiu know, for the sake of the internet.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Hah! Well, if it's for the internet... definitely a noble cause. Maybe I'll update the vanity pics thread again next time I'm feeling vain.

Hah! Well, if it's for the internet... definitely a noble cause. Maybe I'll update the vanity pics thread again next time I'm feeling vain.
    The internet thanks you

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm a natural meso/endomorph. So I get really big if I try to maximize my lifting potential. I thought I would try upping my protein intake by having a whey shake once or twice a day. Bought some extra large chicken breasts, too. Jeez I'm a fat bastard all of a sudden. My legs are mostly super firm but gigantic and the rest of me is just plain fat. Phooey.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Heavy lifting works best with GOMAD or a similar menu! At least for lifting MOAR, if thats the primary and all over shadowing goal...

Grassfed4me is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I want to have a winter coat made while living in Korea and can afford to do such a thing. However, I recently started lifting heavy things. Are my shoulders and hips likely to get bigger as a result of lifting? Half an inch can change how a garment fits.

(I'm a petite woman, 5'2", about 117 lbs.)

So is having the coat made a bad idea until I know more about how my body will change? I thought I would have them size me while I was wearing a large sweater hoping it would give me a little wiggle room. (I like my clothing to fit a little looser than the Koreans' do.) For the last two winters I've been wearing a man's wool hunting coat. It's way too big for me but it keeps me warm.

I don't have much time left here and either need to get on it or let it go.

Thanks! Jay
    Last edited by Grassfed4me; 03-12-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast