Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting made me bigger page 4

Kinnell is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    This is a myth. Rep ranges cannot influence one type of growth over the other. The size of the sarcoplasm is limited by the size of the myofibrils. In other words, a cell can only hold so much sarcoplasm and that amount is limited by the size of the myofibril within it. Thus, it would seem it is impossible to increase sarcoplasmic growth in the absence of myofibrillar growth regardless of what strategies are employed.
    Do you have a reference for that? That sarcoplasmic growth is limited by the size of the myofibril seems reasonable. That There cannot be sarcoplasmic growth without myofibrillar growth would imply that the sarcoplasm is always at it's maximum size, which doesn't seem right to me. What you claim contradicts a lot of expertise in both bodybuilding and strength training.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnell View Post
    Do you have a reference for that? That sarcoplasmic growth is limited by the size of the myofibril seems reasonable. That There cannot be sarcoplasmic growth without myofibrillar growth would imply that the sarcoplasm is always at it's maximum size, which doesn't seem right to me. What you claim contradicts a lot of expertise in both bodybuilding and strength training.
    Certainly Sir.....

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

Drew Baye has also been doing research into this matter and has concluded the same, you might be able to google his articles on this subject.

Kinnell is offline Member
    Certainly Sir.....

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

Drew Baye has also been doing research into this matter and has concluded the same, you might be able to google his articles on this subject.
    From the article: With higher volume training the average bro might be able to gain 5-10 lbs or so of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy across his entire body over what he would on lower volume protcols.

diene is offline Senior Member

For example adding a little side delt size will make the waist look much smaller. Build a nice thigh sweep, rounded glutes, tight oblique's, nicely shaped calves. Decide the shape you want and then custom your routine with that goal in mind.
    How do you increase side delt size?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    chin-ups and milkshakes.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Barbell high pulls with a shoulder vide grip to the top of your head or dumbbell laterals among other stuff...

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andria View Post
    You are performing too many reps. And if you are doing a circuit you are not taking enough rest and therefore can not be "lifting heavy" enough. Your rep range is closer to that for hypertrophy. You want to be in the 4-6 rep range, for the true definition of lifting heavy, to increase strength and not size.

I did strong lifts a few years ago and only got stronger and leaner, no increase in size. I am female. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
    Thanks- will check these out. I've been going about this all wrong. I've been aiming for higher reps (10-12) and eating more carbs. And here I am, stronger yes, but bigger. I don't think I've put on too much fat, but I think the higher carbs just mean more food in general for me- it's harder to control my intake when I eat more carbs- so I've gained size. I want to be leaner so I need to do some big time reassessing about my eating habits and workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Barbell high pulls with a shoulder vide grip to the top of your head or dumbbell laterals among other stuff...
    Yep definitely nice strict slow side laterals, when you hit failure try going straight into a set of neutral grip presses using the same dumbbells.Side laterals using a low pulley are also an excellent side delt movement.

Here is a video giving some good info on the side raise using dumbbells:

Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    Thanks- will check these out. I've been going about this all wrong. I've been aiming for higher reps (10-12) and eating more carbs. And here I am, stronger yes, but bigger. I don't think I've put on too much fat, but I think the higher carbs just mean more food in general for me- it's harder to control my intake when I eat more carbs- so I've gained size. I want to be leaner so I need to do some big time reassessing about my eating habits and workouts.
    10-12 reps is a good range, to maximize hypertrophy ( muscle growth ) the set needs to last between approximately 50-90 seconds. As size cannot be gained without a corresponding increase in strength then this is optimal whatever your goal.
    50-90 seconds is quite a long time compared with how long most people spend on a set so to reach this time you need to either do more reps, as you do , or do slower reps......I've found 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down to work great.

You sound like you are doing great anyway so I'm sure once you have fine tuned the diet side you will look awesome.....keep us updated !

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    This thread confuses me... I would so much rather be strong than small. Plus my body type is never gonna be small no matter what I do. If you're like me and you gain muscle mass easily from lifting, then I would suggest leaning into it because being strong as shit will make you not care about your size, believe me. (And if you're truly lifting heavy and fueling properly, you will get lean, and your muscles will be even more eye-popping.)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast