Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting made me bigger page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Honestly.... I would not mind getting bigger with muscle. I think it's not how small you are, but your shape and tonedness that makes you look good. I've put on a few lbs, clothes sizes have gone down. Overall my body looks more feminine now because the broader shoulders and bigger butt make my waist look smaller. However, if your thighs get at all bigger, buying pants is a bitch.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    It might vary from person to person with the same lifting routine based on existing body types. When I was lifting heavy things, my legs got much bigger but more defined. Therefore, even though my pants were tighter I looked better in them. I have a petite upper body, so my back/arms/shoulders became very defined but not much larger.

Enjoy it! If you don't like how muscular you are becoming, then maybe trade your gym lifting routine for every day life work outs like hiking and chopping wood. Do yoga?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Andria is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I have been lifting 2-3 times a week. 8-10 reps, usually 2-3 sets of 3 diff movements per muscle group. I often will do a circuit type routine so I keep moving. I think I just have the propensity to build muscle easily..... I like to be strong, but I want to be smaller....
    You are performing too many reps. And if you are doing a circuit you are not taking enough rest and therefore can not be "lifting heavy" enough. Your rep range is closer to that for hypertrophy. You want to be in the 4-6 rep range, for the true definition of lifting heavy, to increase strength and not size.

I did strong lifts a few years ago and only got stronger and leaner, no increase in size. I am female. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andria View Post
    You are performing too many reps. And if you are doing a circuit you are not taking enough rest and therefore can not be "lifting heavy" enough. Your rep range is closer to that for hypertrophy. You want to be in the 4-6 rep range, for the true definition of lifting heavy, to increase strength and not size.

I did strong lifts a few years ago and only got stronger and leaner, no increase in size. I am female. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
    The rep range idea is just a myth !

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

RMF5630 is offline Junior Member
    Sometimes what your mind wants and your body wants do not match. If you are adding muscle, that is a good thing and many will be jealous. Adding true muscle is damn tough.

The best measure I know is whether you are getting stronger. I prefer to use Mike Mentzer/Author Jones logic, muscles are either activated or not. When working out the only way to add strength is more muscle fiber. If you are stronger, you are gaining muscle.

My question would be why do you you want to be a certain size? Does it really matter? A well muscled body will look better in ANYTHING than a smaller non-muscled body. Maybe your genetics are pre-disposed to being muscular, go with it. You may find you and your significant other enjoy it!

I am female- starting lifting heav(ier) a few months ago and cut back on the cardio and I've noticed that I'm bigger. Meaning, my arms, chest, legs and back have larger muscles (tshirts and jeans are more snug). I don't think it's fat b/c I have decent definition. But I don't want to be bigger! I want to be leaner, and smaller.

So what do I do? Get on the stair machine and treadmill for hard intervals? Increase reps/decrease weight? Any other ladies see this happening?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMF5630 View Post
    Sometimes what your mind wants and your body wants do not match. If you are adding muscle, that is a good thing and many will be jealous. Adding true muscle is damn tough.

The best measure I know is whether you are getting stronger. I prefer to use Mike Mentzer/Author Jones logic, muscles are either activated or not. When working out the only way to add strength is more muscle fiber. If you are stronger, you are gaining muscle.
    Yes, more contractible protein shuttled into the muscle fibers is the definition of getting stronger, but many people confuse getting stonger by lifting more in certain lifts! OK, very often you will get strength adaptions by lifting more, but far from always, and physiological strength adaptions will max out long before the lifting numbers stop to go up...

Here a relative tiny 130 pound guy squatting 603 pound or 4.5 times his bodyweight;

Kinnell is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    So what IS the difference between a strength and mass-increasing routine. I would have thought that building mass was building strength. Is this not necessarily so? And is it possible to build strength without building mass?
    Muscles can grow by either adding more fibres (myofibrillated hypertrophy) or increasing the fluid inside the cells (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). Both will increase mass, but only the former increases strength. The latter increases endurance and results in a lot more size. Any training program will increase both to some extent, but training at low rep ranges favours myofibrillated hypertrophy and 8-12 is optimal for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lol gorbag.... that video is just great for so many reasons I can't even count.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnell View Post
    Muscles can grow by either adding more fibres (myofibrillated hypertrophy) or increasing the fluid inside the cells (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). Both will increase mass, but only the former increases strength. The latter increases endurance and results in a lot more size. Any training program will increase both to some extent, but training at low rep ranges favours myofibrillated hypertrophy and 8-12 is optimal for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.
    This is a myth. Rep ranges cannot influence one type of growth over the other. The size of the sarcoplasm is limited by the size of the myofibrils. In other words, a cell can only hold so much sarcoplasm and that amount is limited by the size of the myofibril within it. Thus, it would seem it is impossible to increase sarcoplasmic growth in the absence of myofibrillar growth regardless of what strategies are employed.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I am female- starting lifting heav(ier) a few months ago and cut back on the cardio and I've noticed that I'm bigger. Meaning, my arms, chest, legs and back have larger muscles (tshirts and jeans are more snug). I don't think it's fat b/c I have decent definition. But I don't want to be bigger! I want to be leaner, and smaller.

So what do I do? Get on the stair machine and treadmill for hard intervals? Increase reps/decrease weight? Any other ladies see this happening?
    What you can try is to do 2 sessions of sprints each week. Also, eat more protein and fewer carbs and fats and reduce your calories just a little bit. Not drastically because you still want to get stronger.

I have gotten bigger from lifting, too, but only in some places. Such as my shoulders. I have a tank top I wore on the Pacific Crest Trail. It's the red shirt in my avatar. It is tight on my belly when I get fat. Now it's tight on my shoulders and loose on my belly. My thighs are always big but now they are just shaped different and jiggle less. There's a bulge in the back along my hamstrings. You can really see it when I walk up the stairs or something like that. Everything that got bigger is shaped better so I'm not unhappy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast