Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting made me bigger page 2

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Heavy lifting does make you bigger... Look at all the dedicated Crossfit gals. I gain mass in my legs instantly when I start lifting. If you don't want to gain mass just tone down the lifting, add sprints and walk or jog lots.. Problem solved

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I have been lifting 2-3 times a week. 8-10 reps, usually 2-3 sets of 3 diff movements per muscle group.
    Heavier weights, fewer reps, fewer exercises of the same muscle groups. If you want volume in your muscles, do volume workouts. If not...

Sent via F-22 Raptor

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Bodyweight routines?

Anybody?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Why not get bigger?
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    That was the first thing that struck me. If you want to be strong, not big, you might want to follow a strength routine, instead of a mass increasing routine.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Wow I wish I could get big so fast !!!!

I really don't think muscle is an issue on men or women providing you think about it like a sculptor would as he creates his art. This is why I'm not sold on the ' You must do squats, bench press and deadlifts' mentality.

For example adding a little side delt size will make the waist look much smaller. Build a nice thigh sweep, rounded glutes, tight oblique's, nicely shaped calves. Decide the shape you want and then custom your routine with that goal in mind.
    Now this sounds totally intriguing. Is it really possible to be that specific about it? Are there sample body pix to go by with routines to match?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    That was the first thing that struck me. If you want to be strong, not big, you might want to follow a strength routine, instead of a mass increasing routine.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    So what IS the difference between a strength and mass-increasing routine. I would have thought that building mass was building strength. Is this not necessarily so? And is it possible to build strength without building mass?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    So what IS the difference between a strength and mass-increasing routine. I would have thought that building mass was building strength. Is this not necessarily so? And is it possible to build strength without building mass?
    Look at a gymnast.... they are not massive folks, but are increadibly strong. Just think about the strength required do go from a sitting "L" hold to a handstand..... or to hold an Iron Cross on the rings. So, yes you can be increadibly strong and not be massive.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    Strength and size are not mutually exclusive, so you'll get a bit of both no matter what you do.
    If your main goal is strength, use a weight you can do 1-5 reps. For size, you want a weight you can take for many reps, and do many sets of that.

For a beginner wanting strength, I would do Starting Strength, but eat close to maintenance, instead of in a major surplus. You'll plateau sooner if you're not eating in a surplus, but you won't become massive so I'd consider that good for you.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    I totally didn't realize that what I was doing was a bodybuilding type routine. I always thought that higher reps meant less size. I think I got that from P90x when they say for women to lean out to do 12-15 reps. Is this just flat out wrong? I should be doing very few reps??

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I always thought that higher reps meant less size. I think I got that from P90x when they say for women to lean out to do 12-15 reps. Is this just flat out wrong? I should be doing very few reps??
    Rep Out: The Truth About Rep Ranges And Muscle Growth | Muscle & Strength

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast