Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inflammatory Questions page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixjen View Post
    Hmmm could be on to something with the too much stress. I don't know what a suppressed thyroid would look like, what other symptoms or causes of that might be etc.
    Suppressed thyroid can affect depression, circulation (cold hands), and increase LDL cholesterol.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I had ongoing inflammatory issues that stemmed from dietary issues (gluten) and led to leaky gut, which led to IBS, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue and oestrogen dominance. I couldn't heal it with diet alone, even though that was the cause - I tried it for over 2 years! It's taken help from a holistic doctor, mega-supplementation to support liver, kidneys and gut to detox, and I'm now starting to come right. The dr said that the diet was great, but I was too far gone to heal from diet alone. You might be in a similar situation??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Dry hair and skin and constipation can be symptoms of low thyroid (hypothyroid).

Like Jac I have hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue, my doc said the same thing, my diet is great but I'm too far gone to resolve my issues with diet alone.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Refined sugars are inflammatory. Wheat, caffeine, night shades, nuts, dairy, bad oils, HFCS, the list goes on and on. You may be interested in looking into the blood type diet. That may help you out. Also if you've only been paleo for a few months then yes your symptoms are going to get worse. Your body is just now trying to figure out how to clean itself out so you may have a few symptoms that come up by they will subside. Stay the course.

You could start taking a very good quality whey and glutamine. Glutamine helps seal a leaky gut which will also help with the healing process.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes when you start a paleo diet, you increase consumption of some food types without even noticing it, since you are just using them to replace the old food.

I would suspect that something you are now eating more of could be an issue. I would try a month of no eggs, dairy, nightshades, coffee, and nightshades. I had problems with paleo in the beginning because I am sensitive to dietary lectins (which are high in all those groups).

How is your vitamin D3 level? If that drops inflammation can get high?

Do you have a decent source of iodine in your diet? I think I remember reading that getting too little iodine can aggravate cystitis (that doesn't mean you need massive doses as some people say, just a decent dietary source).
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member
    Wow, that's a whole lot of information to process.

My naturopath just told me to take fish oil for a month, and we'd start with that. She never mentioned hypothyroidism or adrenal fatigue. That sounds like a lot to deal with. Maybe I should be taking some ginseng for a couple of weeks.

I already decided to start an elimination diet. I started a couple of days ago. I've been thinking about what I've been eating more of since going Paleo, And really it's been more of everything else, eggs nuts seeds meat and vegetables.

I didn't eat red meat before. I stopped eating pork and beef when I was 15. Now I eat bison. I've been thinking of slowly adding them back in now that my ideals are not the same as they once were. Plus I'm not sure if I'm getting enough fats. I think the bacon might help.

alanwil2 is offline Member
    Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, but omega-6 oils can cause inflammation. Perhaps you can experiment and see what happens if you stop using omega-6 oils. I don't know what fats you eat, but coconut oil, and butter rock!

umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega6-fatty-acids

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member
    I use coconut oil most often. I also use olive oil, and avocado oil. Due to the elimination diet I'm currently on, I'm mostly off butter. I do plan to have some on my popcorn when I go see a movie in a couple days.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Accumulated PUFAs are probably the main cause of inflammation. Aspirin seems to help.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixjen View Post
    I use coconut oil most often. I also use olive oil, and avocado oil. Due to the elimination diet I'm currently on, I'm mostly off butter. I do plan to have some on my popcorn when I go see a movie in a couple days.
    I feel horrible when using coconut oil. Opposite of just about everyone else, but something to consider.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast