Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many calories Daily?? page

jrc64 is offline Member

How many calories Daily??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    While I certainly agree that fats should make up a majority of your diet from a caloric standpoint, has the issue of how many calories (overall), been addressed? The best formula I have developed to date and continue to use with my clients is this:

Lean body mass X 10% of lean body mass.

For example, if you weigh 180 lbs and you body fat percentage is 15%, then your lean body mass would be 153 lbs.

You then simply multiply 153 X 15.3 (10% of your lean body mass). This would give you 2,341 calories required daily for maintence.

What are Marks recommendations?

Thank you all in advance

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Well, I weight 140 pounds, and I sometimes eat over 3,000 calories a day. So basically, just as much as you need. As Griff says, Eat primal foods when hungry, and then stop when full.

BMR calculators are pointless. Keep carbs low, eat only when hungry.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    As Griff says, Eat primal foods when hungry, and then stop when full.
    1++

I haven't counted any calories since I started (nor any grams of fat or ratios of macronutrients). I've lost over 40 lbs in the 9 or so months since I started.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I find I do have to keep track of calories in order to lose fat. I just use one of those BMR/RMR calculators. (caloriesperhour.com) It does help, and with Primal diet it's easy to stay within my calorie goal without feeling the least bit hungry. In fact I'm often a bit lower than my BMR recommends.

robmedina is offline Member
    I don't get no where near 3000 calories a day, or even 2400 and I am 5'10" and weight 212lbs- and STILL can't loose weight-!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I don't get no where near 3000 calories a day, or even 2400 and I am 5'10" and weight 212lbs- and STILL can't loose weight-!
    Lolslowmetabolisms.

On a serious note, what does your macro nutrient profile look like? Have you tried going VLC or NC? Because I generally eat less then 4 carbs a day.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Well, I weigh 118 pounds and generally consume anywhere from 3,000-4,500 calories a day. 50% of it comes from fat (animal fat and added fat). I am not trying to lose weight, but this where I am at and I feel great! People I know are always making fun of me. I eat...eat...eat...and still remain slim! LOL! I don't know where all the food goes! LOL! I think I have a fast metabolism or something....
    Last edited by Zed; 06-07-2010 at 10:08 PM.

robmedina is offline Member
    Yup and yup- It is just my curse to live with!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Calories-in calories-out is nonsense. Stop worrying about total calories. It's about the percentage of calories you take in from carbs/fat/protein in a nearly 0%/70-80%/20-25% ratio.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    It depends on Metabolism. But to change the metabolism is tough. The main actors are hormones. There are some that we can directly affect like Insulin, which can be kept low by low carb, and Testosterone which can be kept higher with intense exercises.

But there are several other hormones. Leptin and Thyroid hormones affect the metabolism greatly and directly. And there is no way to control them directly. I am sure there are other hormones that affect weight gain.

A low carb Primal lifestyle will help with Insulin and Testosterone hormones, and hopefully, unless the body is irreparably damaged will help balance the other hormones.

We could try to fight the system and eat less, and exercise more, with occasional binges to keep metabolism from going lower. This is what body builders do, and it is effective. But I am not sure that it provides a long term benefit. As soon as you slack a little the weight comes back quick.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast