Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many calories Daily?? page 2

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Calories-in calories-out is nonsense. Stop worrying about total calories. It's about the percentage of calories you take in from carbs/fat/protein in a nearly 0%/70-80%/20-25% ratio.
    The bold was one of the strongest draws to this lifestyle for me. I don't want to live counting macros, vitamins, or calories. I'm just not the type to calculate that stuff. I just want to eat and be healthy. I'd prefer living my life not thinking so much about food, but eating great meals when hungry and moving on.

But, while calories in and out based on the 3500 calories per pound equation -- adding and subtracting food and exercise producing predictable weight loss #s --is nonsense; I still believe people lose more weight eating less calories. It's just oversimplified by the CW formula. Very low carb, very high fat, w/20-25% protein allows for greater caloric intake than other diets with continued healthy weight loss or maintenance. This is the documented experience of many paleo eaters. One study found that eating this way caused participants to take in less calories probably due to satiation. That seems to be a powerful weight loss tool for me. I IF and eat once a day. I eat to contentment, the best food I can afford and prepare. And sometimes I go to bed stuffed around 1400 calories for the day (bulk veggies are low cal). That's low for 340 pound man. But I am satiated. And I am losing weight rapidly. Even easily. I'm sure I can eat like this indefinitely. I prefer it, so that should prevent another big rebound. That's key for me; it's why I chose this approach. But, at 4000 calories a day at the preferred macro percentages, I do not lose weight. So calories are not to be completely disregarded. Just the meaninglessness of the CW equation.

Bakonator is offline Member
    Calories-in calories-out is nonsense. Stop worrying about total calories. It's about the percentage of calories you take in from carbs/fat/protein in a nearly 0%/70-80%/20-25% ratio.
    Nearly 0%? That's crazy. Mark recommends going below 50 grams of carbs only for a few days at a time, or during IF's. It's low-carb, not no carb. Mark also says that Grok averaged around 80 grams a day. This diet isn't Atkins, it's not even a diet. It seems as though we're carbophobes.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakonator View Post
    Nearly 0%? That's crazy. Mark recommends going below 50 grams of carbs only for a few days at a time, or during IF's. It's low-carb, not no carb. Mark also says that Grok averaged around 80 grams a day. This diet isn't Atkins, it's not even a diet. It seems as though we're carbophobes.
    The amount of carbs should vary from person to person. Grok also regularly averaged 2 grams of protein per lb of lean mass, but does that mean we should do it? probably not. Some people find a comfortable maintenance zone under 50 grams a day. Some people find they can lose as long as they keep it under 150 grams. We are at varying levels of sensitivity.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    And if you need to lose a lot of weight, like I do (I started at 400; the doctor is recommending 220; right now I'm at about 310) you need to cut carbs down to zero or as close to it as you can get, especially if you have insulin resistance and/or diabetes. Mark's recommendations are for once you have reached goal weight, not during the weight-loss process.

I'm absolutely a carbophobe and see no reason to be anything else. Carbs are poison.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Mark recommends 50 grams or less for weight loss. I've done that every day but one for 6 weeks, and find it easy, not crazy. I have had a fairly high percentage of days (maybe 50%) under 20, and a few zero carb days.

If I don't eat fruit because it spikes my blood sugar, and I don't eat grains or starchy vegetables, and I avoid nuts, all very doable, then being very low carb is natural.

I'm absolutely a carbophobe and see no reason to be anything else. Carbs are poison.
    Absolutely. And I feel better than I have in a decade.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    If carbs are poison, I am poisoning myself daily.

Then again, I exercise extremely hard and pretty much require them.

Mmmm... delicious poison.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    If carbs are poison, I am poisoning myself daily.

Then again, I exercise extremely hard and pretty much require them.

Mmmm... delicious poison.
    Your funeral, man.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Your funeral, man.
    I did not realize you weigh 300 pounds right now. We have completely different goals, so I can understand why you hate carbs so much. I don't get my carbs from grain based sources, but I consider them absolutely required for being able to perform adequately in sports and intense fitness.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Griff, you don't eat veggies then? Are you supplementing to get your vitamins?

I can't imagine not eating veggies, but with 80lbs that I need to loose and I've never been able to budge off more than about 10lbs (unless, I was pregnant then I lost weight like water??!!!!) I'm getting rather desperate.

I've been eating strictly for the last 2 weeks (and on and off the wagon since November) and keeping carbs at 10-15% or so. I'd really love any input you may have, I also have a journal if you wouldn't mind taking a look to see where I'm going wrong. I just cannot exercise right now, as I have NO energy. I've been doing a bit here and there, just movement related. Calorie burn is typically 2200-2900 per day depending on the day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast