Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Eggs page

UK Eggs

Primal Fuel
    I don't have access to local farmers eggs, so am searching for the optimal brand of store eggs. In searching for the best quality eggs from your average store in the UK, I came across the 'Happy egg co'

They claim to have the best quality free range eggs. I sent them an email to find out more and this was the reply.

All our girls are fed a cereal based diet made up of the highest quality materials which include;

65% Wheat
    15% Soya
    5% Sunflower
    9% Limestone
    2% Wheat Feed
    2% Fats and Oils
    2% Mineral Supplement

Please note that this is a ‘vegetarian’ diet, no fats or oils in the birds’ diet are derived from animals.

As you are aware all of our eggs come from special happy egg farms that are free range. Not only do they have wide open spaces where they are free to roam, they also have trees to play, sandpits to scratch around in and towers ideal for perching pleasure. This means that the girls enjoy the diet provided within the hen house but can also enjoy exploring around the range and finding natural nibbles too.

What do you think, does it matter greatly the diet of the Hens?

Grok 'n Roll is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sige_na_please View Post
    I don't have access to local farmers eggs, so am searching for the optimal brand of store eggs. In searching for the best quality eggs from your average store in the UK, I came across the 'Happy egg co'

They claim to have the best quality free range eggs. I sent them an email to find out more and this was the reply.

All our girls are fed a cereal based diet made up of the highest quality materials which include;

65% Wheat
    15% Soya
    5% Sunflower
    9% Limestone
    2% Wheat Feed
    2% Fats and Oils
    2% Mineral Supplement

Please note that this is a ‘vegetarian’ diet, no fats or oils in the birds’ diet are derived from animals.

As you are aware all of our eggs come from special happy egg farms that are free range. Not only do they have wide open spaces where they are free to roam, they also have trees to play, sandpits to scratch around in and towers ideal for perching pleasure. This means that the girls enjoy the diet provided within the hen house but can also enjoy exploring around the range and finding natural nibbles too.

It's the greens in the diet of organically produced eggs that give them a much higher omega 3 content than standard free range eggs. I think I have that right. In other words, I don't think you'll benefit much from one free range egg to another. Organic eggs are just too rich for my blood bearing in mind the volume of eggs consumed in my household (at least a dozen a week) so I'll either get them from the local farmer, or just get free range and accept that's the way it is. I do take fish oil capsules every day though.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I was never particularly wowed by the Happy Eggs in Tesco, and a vegetarian diet is nothing to boast about - chcikens should be foraging for animal protien I think.

If I can't get to the farmers market or the health food shop in the next town (both have local organic eggs at £1.50 per 6) then I go to Sainsbury's for their "woodland organic", much pricier at £2.20 per 6 but almost as good.

At the other extreme check out Aldi or Lidl free range, £1 per 6.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sige_na_please View Post

65% Wheat
    15% Soya
    5% Sunflower
    9% Limestone
    2% Wheat Feed
    2% Fats and Oils
    2% Mineral Supplement

Free range is particularly important, insofar as it allows the chickens to eat foods that their producers deem "unsuitable", i.e. animal protein. We have the cultural notion of "the early bird catches the worm", but now, that's a politically correct tofu worm, or maybe it is textured wheat protein? I find it ridiculous that people tout "vegetarian" diets for chickens which, if left to their own devices, would happily be consuming worms and insects that they encounter while scratching about.

Free range good! Vegetarian feed bad! Probably best to find a small producer that just lets the chickens runs around.

And yes, diet of the chickens definitely matters. It's not "you are what you eat", but rather, "you are what you eat ate."

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Marks & spencer do a free range omega 3 added eggs which means extra flaxseed diet.
    I get my eggs from butchers which are free ranged or also claren court (think that's the brand) they sell at Wholefoods and have a rare breed chicken eggs at the moment which are awesome

From London England UK

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I would keep hunting for locally produced free range eggs - preferably where you can see the hens ranging, freely. (I think I'm right in saying that the 'free range' label includes hens that have only nominal access to the outdoors, but are stocked too densely for most of them ever to make it to the exit. And as others have been saying, the hens' diet is important, and letting them out to forage is the most likely way it'll be improved, as the chickens have a bit more clue about that than the marketers...)

Google for a farmers' market near you. Look in local butchers - even local post office shop - for free range eggs. Good luck.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Free range is particularly important, insofar as it allows the chickens to eat foods that their producers deem "unsuitable", i.e. animal protein. We have the cultural notion of "the early bird catches the worm", but now, that's a politically correct tofu worm, or maybe it is textured wheat protein? I find it ridiculous that people tout "vegetarian" diets for chickens which, if left to their own devices, would happily be consuming worms and insects that they encounter while scratching about.

Free range good! Vegetarian feed bad! Probably best to find a small producer that just lets the chickens runs around.

And yes, diet of the chickens definitely matters. It's not "you are what you eat", but rather, "you are what you eat ate."

-PK
    I think the vegetarian thing is more about that they DON'T feed chickens animal protein i.e. from other poultry. Chickens eat insects, they don't eat other birds.

Anyway, I always bought the Clarence Court eggs from Waitrose. From what I read they seem to be the best brand. Duchy Organics seem excessive.

"Vegetarian Diet" is a meaningless marketing talk. Chickens are not vegetarians and as "standard" chicken feed is nothing more than grain, seeds, and soy so it has always been "Vegetarian". They call it "Vegetarian" because it sounds healthier than just saying, "we feed our birds standard industrial chicken feed". Feeding your chickens coconut or sardines would be something to brag about. "Vegetarian" is not.

Chickens that live on pasture is what you should be seeking out and if necessary paying extra for. You don't have access to Vital Farms Eggs in the UK, but they are the biggest pastured egg company in the USA and watching their videos can give you a good idea of the type of farming you are looking for:

Vital Farms
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Clarence Court | Fabulous Eggs by Fabulous Birds
    As others have said these eggs are best. You can get them from co-op as well as Waitrose. the yolks are a lovely orange colour. this is strong evidence that the chickens have been digesting the chlorophyll found in grass (unless they have been giving them carrots). I also buy the duck eggs and use them to make salad dressing as they are really creamy and luxurious
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast