Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to reduce bodyfat by 5%. Any tips? page 2

prufock is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, those scales are absolute junk. Rubbish. Drivel. Ignore them completely. From the looks of you, you can drop 5% body fat or more just by using a more accurate measuring device, like a multi-site skinfold caliper pinch test in the hands of a competent user. Or you can just look in the mirror and compare it to a body fat percentages photo array. There you go, you just lost 5% body fat. Congrats.
    I'm not convinced a photo array is accurate, given that they vary from one to the next (see links). It's incredibly subjective.

The 25% and 35% on the first link look quite a bit more toned than the second link.

http://www.healthygrad.org/wp-conten...-men-women.png
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-48h4nDelVc.../s1600/bfp.jpg

None of this takes away from your original point, but eyeballing it doesn't seem like an accurate method either. If we're comparing to an impedance device, I eyeballed myself at higher than the device's result (ie I guessed myself to be around 25%, when bioelectric gave me closer to 16%). Calipers may be better if the user is skilled.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    I'm not convinced a photo array is accurate, given that they vary from one to the next (see links). It's incredibly subjective.

The 25% and 35% on the first link look quite a bit more toned than the second link.

http://www.healthygrad.org/wp-conten...-men-women.png
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-48h4nDelVc.../s1600/bfp.jpg

None of this takes away from your original point, but eyeballing it doesn't seem like an accurate method either. If we're comparing to an impedance device, I eyeballed myself at higher than the device's result (ie I guessed myself to be around 25%, when bioelectric gave me closer to 16%). Calipers may be better if the user is skilled.
    Oh yeah, I agree that none of the methods available are great. But the scales are notoriously inaccurate and worthless. At best, you can look at a few of the photo arrays and make an estimate within a few percentage points, but the caliper's the only thing that's reasonably affordable and reasonably consistent (I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say accurate). Forgetting the whole thing altogether and worrying about how you feel, look, and perform is the best advice of all.

But for the OP to be making an effort to decrease her body fat percentage by 5 because the number on an electronical impedance scale says she's 29% body fat is pure crazy.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    eat 5% for lean and 15% more fat
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Oh yeah, I agree that none of the methods available are great. But the scales are notoriously inaccurate and worthless. At best, you can look at a few of the photo arrays and make an estimate within a few percentage points, but the caliper's the only thing that's reasonably affordable and reasonably consistent (I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say accurate). Forgetting the whole thing altogether and worrying about how you feel, look, and perform is the best advice of all.

But for the OP to be making an effort to decrease her body fat percentage by 5 because the number on an electronical impedance scale says she's 29% body fat is pure crazy.
    Well her avator is tiny and maybe just a good angle. We probably need to see some bikini pics to accurately gauge her bf%.

(Your slippin, rich)

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aingealag View Post
    Haha yes the skinny lady in the avatar is indeed me. And that is why I do not want to lose weight, I just want to transform some of the fat to muscle. I mean, a bodyfat % of 29.9 is not optimal for a fit young woman, right?
    Supposedly I have 40% body fat. That puts me in the obese range. That's my booty in my avatar. Do I look obese to you?

Adding muscle is great, leaning out is great. I am actively doing both. But I stopped caring about the numbers as they just don't always mean what we think they mean.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    That's my booty in my avatar.
    Oh... Now I see it. I actually thought it was a shoulder/pec/armpit, with "Sugar Is King" being written on the deltoid.

This is better though.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Oh... Now I see it. I actually thought it was a shoulder/pec/armpit, with "Sugar Is King" being written on the deltoid.

This is better though.
    But do I look obese?

But do I look obese?
    Are you honestly unsure?

Are you honestly unsure?
    I am sure as hell that I am hot (as is OP). I am unsure about where these arbitrary percentages come from. I am pear shaped with a .72 waist to hip ratio- that means I am carrying a fair amount of body fat in an oh-so-pleasing to look at package, which I believe to be perfectly healthy and well functioning (meaning I'm happy, I sleep well and have a high sex drive and regular periods). But every website tells me I'm overweight if I weigh over a certain amount, or have more than 24% body fat. No one can blame OP for taking these messages to heart either. Body fat% aside, adding lean mass and losing some fat (SOME!) is awesome, I don't want to be misunderstood on that point- my point is that those numbers don't mean jack squat.

PrimalCon New York
    But do I look obese?
    Are you honestly unsure?
    I am sure as hell that I am hot (as is OP).
    A much better response

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast